Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019 or Serif Affinity Photo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019 or Serif Affinity Photo?

I have Photoshop Elements 11 at present, but am wondering if it is time to upgrade and I'm looking at either upgrading to Photoshop Elements 2019 or buying Serif Affinity Photo?
    I think Affinity Photo costs less than the upgrade to Elements 2019 but does anyone have any suggestions as to which way might be best please?
    Thank you
    John

Re: Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019 or Serif Affinity Photo?

I'm really happy with Affinity but it is the first processing software I've ever used. I really can't say whether switching from something you know makes the decision trickier.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Hi John, I am using Affinity , it is a powerful piece of software .

I use Youtube for tutorials , there are lots of videos both official Affinity and other Youtubers I also have a digital book by Robin Whalley which I find very good he also does videos (Youtube).

Take Care
      Dave
      Dave , France 79

Comment

Thank you Chris and Dave
        So far then its Affinity 2 - Elements 0 !
        John

Comment

It’s a tough one. On the one hand, if you’re familiar with elements then Affinity will be quite a culture shock as the basic edits you apply in pretty much all Adobe products don’t have equivalents in Affinity. On the other hand, my wife faced horrible performance problems with Elements on her Mac. It was truly awful and so bad she stopped using, lost confidence in upgrading and moved to the subscription CC LightRoom which works much better, though lacks some of the more advanced edits.

As I said it’s a tough one but I suggest your wife gives the Affinity trial a serious look and uses the whole trial period. It’s a good product by all I’ve read, just a lot different to Adobe products.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
            …….……………………. I suggest your wife gives the Affinity trial a serious look and uses the whole trial period. It’s a good product by all I’ve read, just a lot different to Adobe products.
            Thanks Andy, not sure where you decided it was my wife when its me, but thanks for your comments, now it looks like Affinity 3 - Elements 0.
            John

Comment

Me neither. It was probably the red wine
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I'd probably stick to what you know,i use Elements 15 just for minor tweaks to my images and it works fine so upgrading to Elements 19 should be a nice easy progression for you as you will be comfortable with all the icons and menus.

Paul
                EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks Paul
                  Affinity 3 - Elements 1

Comment

Do you use RAW or just JPEG? If you use RAW format then Affinity does offer a more comprehensive RAW development package. I did run Elements on trial last year and was disappointed to discover how very basic the raw development option still is - not even as good as my ancient copy of CS3. Alternatively DPP that comes with the camera is a viable alternative with the added bonus that it applies all the camera settings automatically and can significantly reduce basic editing.

For editing JPEGs and converted raw files there's probably a lot less between them but my impression of Affinity is that it's perhaps closer in options to full Photoshop than Elements is - though as said you will have to learn some new terms and slightly different ways of doing things.

PS I had an e-mail from Affinity today - it seems they're having a sale and Photo is currently £38.99...
                    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
                      Do you use RAW or just JPEG? If you use RAW format then Affinity does offer a more comprehensive RAW development package. I did run Elements on trial last year and was disappointed to discover how very basic the raw development option still is - not even as good as my ancient copy of CS3. Alternatively DPP that comes with the camera is a viable alternative with the added bonus that it applies all the camera settings automatically and can significantly reduce basic editing.

For editing JPEGs and converted raw files there's probably a lot less between them but my impression of Affinity is that it's perhaps closer in options to full Photoshop than Elements is - though as said you will have to learn some new terms and slightly different ways of doing things.

PS I had an e-mail from Affinity today - it seems they're having a sale and Photo is currently £38.99...
                      Thank you Nigel; very helpful and I am certainly leaning towards Affinity Photo, especially as it is now considerably less expensive compared to the Elements upgrade.
                      Very close to decision time as it is now affinity 4 - Elements 1.
                      Thanks again
                      John

Comment

Just to throw the cat amongst the pidgeons so to speak.... there is On1 Photo Raw 2019 ... well worth looking at.
                        So now you have three to choose from.
                        David

Comment

Working...
                        X