Are we being left behind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we being left behind?

With the introduction of the new EOSR and even more advanced cameras I'm wondering if those of us 'wot' have Canon 700D's and similar might be left behind. The main reason being the rather high cost of trying to upgrade to even the cheapest of the new cameras.

For myself, my sole income is the state pension so it is easy to see why I ask the question. Even the cheapest of the new 'stuff' is well beyond my compass. I do, though, still welcome the new cameras and will strive to get one, if possible.

I'm intrigued to hear what other forum members thoughts are about this.
    Canon 700D, Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6mm, IS STM lens, Canon 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS STM lens, Raynox 250 macro/close-up conversion lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/168448632@N02/

Re: Are we being left behind?

I hope this doesn't sound silly, because I do have some rather nice kit, but, I only ever change if I consider the new version will provide some positive benefit to my photography.

New gimmicks and bits'n bobs don't interest me and bragging rights for the latest model don't interest me (though I do feel a slight hypocrite over that last statement).

So, how will the new EOSR benefit your photography?
    Colin

Comment

I'm with Colin. I too have some rather nice kit, though it is now a few years old and has been replaced by new models. However, it still takes good images restrained only by the limitations of the user.

Like you I too am retired and have reached a stage where I can no longer justify investing in new kit. I would sooner spend what money I have on trips.
      http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

As a result of this thread, I have just looked up the date code of my three oldest lenses and they are:

17 - 40mm F4 L Feb 2004

24 - 70mm F2.8 L Jul 2004

70 - 200mm F2.8L Jun 2004

2004 must have been a very good year for me and all three have done me proud over the last 15 years and if I were to sell them, I suspect I would get nearly what I paid for them. Either way, they produce stunningly sharp images and I have every reason to hang on to them.
        Colin

Comment

To be fair, JayJay was talking about cameras not lenses, which aren’t changed as often.
          Back in the film days, I had a ZenitB, then a Pentax SP500 which was stolen and replaced wth Pentax SF7. They each lasted for years.
          Since 2006, I’ve had 350D, 40D, 7D and currently 5D(3).
          It’s like mobile phones, people feel they need to get the next model, often for features they won’t even use.

John

Comment

Surely Canon is still updating the beginner & amateur bodies. Today's 700D equivalent is I presume the 800D. It has a DIGIC 7 processor whereas the 750D/760D before it had a DIGIC 6 and the 700D had a DIGIC 5.

You can't really compare the current mirror-less bodies with the beginner/amateur range.
            Chris
            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Back in the film days, I had a ZenitB
              That was my first SLR.

No built in meter and I had to grow my finger nails to alter the aperture ring in the front of the lens. Bought it for £10 s/h and sold it for £11, the only camera I have ever made a profit on.
              Colin

Comment

Must have been a good starter camera. Mine was a Zenith TTL. I think i still have a Zenith II somewhere in the house.
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/150977425@N05/

Comment

….being left behind....I must admit I had the same feeling …..although I have some nice L primes and a few zooms I suspect I will not be able to upgrade all to new R mount versions....as some are twice the price of the EF versions.
                  Having said that it looks like there will be some standard grade versions i.e. the RF35mm f1.8 macro

The R mount system replaces the EF mount system.....there is still the APS-C M mount cameras and lenses which are more cost effective and perhaps equate to the EF-S mount
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I've taken a look at the reviews of the new models, but spending a couple of thousand on a body and lenses to match won't have much of impact on my photos. I enjoy the hobby first, then buy what I can afford, so I'm not even remotely tempted....plus I've only just mastered what I have!

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Many thanks to you all for responding to my initial post. Since then I've received this quarter's EOS magazine. In it there is a decent article about the new cameras. My concern is that the consumer/budget dslr's such as the 700D, and it's like will gradually disappear. This will leave only cameras priced at £900 and above available. Not to worry, my 700D has only got 4000 miles on the clock and will be with me for some time yet, I hope. I still welcome the new generation of 'stuff' as Canon mustn't stand still.

I also freely admit that my standard of photography does not warrant my even thinking about upgrading. I just hope that Canon do not completely dessert the likes of myself.
                      Canon 700D, Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6mm, IS STM lens, Canon 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS STM lens, Raynox 250 macro/close-up conversion lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/168448632@N02/

Comment

Whilst agreeing with all that's gone before, don't forget the pre-owned market.
                        There will always be people who feel they need the latest gear and there are some excellent bargains to be picked up from established dealers.

I worked my way up to my present kit by buying used bodies & lenses, my two favourite lenses, 17-40mm f4L & 70-200 f4L were both pre-owned.
                        Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Canon has stated that DSLRs aren't going away for the foreseeable future. And you can be sure they would like to keep selling cameras to you.
                          I suspect there will be some rationalisation in the DSLR range, but then at the moment, there's a huge number of models: 4000D, 2000D, 200D, 800D, 77D, 80D, 7D Mk II for APS-C, with 750D and 1300D still available. I can't imagine it will stay like that, but there's likely to be a choice of DSLRs for years to come.
                          Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

The article with Michael Burnhill was interesting and enlightening on where Canon are going. Like Nick, I reckon that the DSLR range will be rationalized, indicated by the expectation that the 7D Mk 3 will double up as the successor to the 80D as well.
                            Chris
                            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I got left behind years ago having effectively stopped upgrading at my 40D - and I still occasionally break out the 20D and D30 just to give them some exercise. I only went mad over Black Friday and bought an 80D because it suddenly got £200 cheaper and having gotten used to the high ISO capability of a fairly inexpensive D7000 I concluded that I needed* a more modern Canon...

Well, I say needed but lusted after may be a more honest term...
                              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                              X