Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTCC Silverstone 2018

Hi,
    Here are a few shots from the BTCC at Silverstone last year. I’m kind of new to motorsport photography and would love some C&Cs on these six shots. Thanks!

3E1E9ECA-C4FA-4B81-8636-B160353294A3.jpg
    2FC42951-BB18-4FBF-8396-E77B53229B58.jpg
    5E4AEF2F-3AF1-473F-939E-F85F46ADA9B1.jpg
    79970964-4448-4510-A447-E0F984FE933B.jpg
    789ED5BB-1E97-472E-B155-478204A5A1FA.jpg
    AA468D92-12DF-4783-A7B9-8CF4EA1D5FE4.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Scales; 20-03-2019, 21:53.
    John Scales
    Kit: EOS 200D, 18-55mm, 50mm f/1.8, 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

Re: BTCC Silverstone 2018

the panning looks good and the right shutter speed to show movement in the wheels. The way you have posted the images makes it a little difficult to suss where one image ends and the next starts but some have too much dead space above and / or below the cars, so a crop would improve, the first looks a little odd with only half a car in the frame on the left and the composition of 6 does not really work for me as it is always best to frame with your subject coming into rather than out of the frame
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

They look pretty decent to me but I'm no expert on this kind of work. I'd echo Stan's comment re the pictures kind of running into one another and getting a bit confusing to work out. Better to put a blank line between each shot.

I'd also suggest using a hosting site such as Flickr and linking from here to the hosted image. Direct uploading to the forum tends to result in the images losing definition and going a bit soft which I feel has happened to your images somewhat...
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thank you both. So a few things to take away.
        1: Try and get a closer shot or crop out the dead ground.
        2: Try and make subjects more obvious. The subjects in the first photo are the white Vauxhall and black Honda. I was attempting to catch the action around those two cars. I see now that I could of attempted to get closer in but I was also trying to get the tyre marks on the track in as well.
        3: Set up a Flickr as I don’t have one.
        4: The photos that I’ve posted being too close together I’m going to put down to newbie error!
        Thanks for the C&Cs. If you have anymore, please add as it will only improve my shots.
        John Scales

Comment

Well John, I think that was a damn fine effort.

One of the most difficult disciplines in motorsport photography is effective panning, coupled to a choice of shutter speed to get a sharp subject, blurred foreground and background and blurred wheels and tyres. You have nailed it on some of those shots and I look forward to seeing more.
          Colin

Comment

I have never taken any fast moving shots, but I think if you take in the advice given , your contribution to the forum will be most welcome. Well done you.

Comment

Agree with previous comments regarding pics merging into each other, try to get vehicles driving into the shot rather than out of it and distractions above and below the cars. Never been to a meeting at Silverstone but those red Armco barriers look a bit gaudy.
              I'll be going to the BTCC official test day at Brands Hatch next Wed. In previous years the public have been allowed to go into the pits to see the cars being worked on but not sure it's allowed this time.

John

Comment

Thank you all. I’m next at Silverstone on the 12th of May for the Blancpain GT Series so will try out the new tips then. Have been thinking about upgrading to a 70-200 f/4L lens. Has anyone used one? Would like to get a 7D one day too but want to get my techniques right before I splash out on a new camera body.
                John Scales

Comment

Working...
                X