TIFF File Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TIFF File Support

Some years ago (I have not seen this recently) you could read in camera reviews or specifications that the camera "supports TIFF files". If the camera produces RAW files these can be converted to TIFF via suitable software, if desired. What else does the camera to support TIFF? Does (or did) the phrase make any sense?
    EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Re: TIFF File Support

I think some early cameras, and I mean really early cameras, were capable of outputting TIFF files. This I think was in the days before proprietary RAW formats when TIFF was the main option for outputting images files greater than 8-bit-per-channel. As proprietary raw formats, and conversion software, became common TIFF disappeared. I seem to remember coming across an article which indicated that many if not all RAW formats are in part derived from the TIFF format.

As far as I know the only cameras to support TIFF these days are those used in scientific and industrial instruments. I'm not aware of any consumer models that do.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Re: TIFF File Support

Thank you for your response, Nigel. It makes sense. Indeed, no spec lists or reviews refer to "Tiff support" any more.
      Vasilis
      EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

Working...
      X