Kingfisher Landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kingfisher Landing

Another from today with the 2x, bit more action with this one.

C18I6708c by colin cross, on Flickr
    Colin

Re: Kingfisher Landing

Fantastic shot Colin, well done
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Very nice
      Steve ( LSINWP )
      1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Very nice, what a beast the 800 must be to use, wondering why you were shooting at f20 as I would have thought using a long lens at distance would still be giving a very narrow depth of field
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Love that against the black background

I echo Ryan's comments about the "beast" too!
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
            Very nice, what a beast the 800 must be to use, wondering why you were shooting at f20 as I would have thought using a long lens at distance would still be giving a very narrow depth of field
            I think "Beast" is probably the right word. She takes a bit of handling, I can only hand hold for short periods, virtually no depth of field and on hot summers days, heat haze is compressed and can adversely affect the image. Carrying her, the 200-400mm and a heavy duty tripod certainly keeps you fit though. I have kept her fairly low key for some while and only a couple of shooting buddies knew about her, but I should have realised it wouldn't take you lot too long to suss it out. EXIF details can work against me it seems!

Anyway, back to the plot - I used F20 because depth of field is next to nothing shooting wide open and I wanted at least one stop normally. However, with the 2x, this was going to make the depth of field even worse, especially as I was focussing manually and even a tiny bit of extra depth could help with focussing errors.
            Colin

Comment

Great timing and skill to capture an image like this one Colin. What else apart from a kidney did you sell to purchase the 800mm lens[emoji23]

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
              Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Stunning.

Bill.
                7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

What else apart from a kidney did you sell to purchase the 800mm lens
                  Thankfully, my body is still intact ......... mostly!

A couple of years ago I came to the conclusion I needed some more reach. My 200-400mm was good for 560mm with the 1.4x switched in and 780mm with another 1.4x added. Quality was still good at 780mm, but there are times you just need more. Cropping can get you out of trouble, but often it stretches the image too much and quality suffers. So it was either a 600mm, or the 800mm and apart from the fact that the 800mm is a bit more difficult to use, that gave me more options. I didn't expect to use it with a 2x, but even the 1.4x would give me 1120mm @f8 and full autofocus.

No way could I run to a new one, or even justify it, but I came across one at LCE at an asking price of £7,000. It is my pro shop and I would get a good deal on that, but I needed Mrs C's approval to go ahead. I couldn't contact her, but in between trying I took some test shots and they were pretty sharp, but not as much as I expected. I must add that this lens was only a couple of months old and was immaculate. Couldn't tell it from brand new. However, I couldn't get hold of Mrs C and by the time I got back to them the next day, it was gone ............ for the full asking price.

Months later they advised me that their Leamington Spa branch had one. Mechanically and optically perfect, but a bit tatty. My branch manager got a "favour" price from their branch manager and I went for it at a considerable saving on the previous one. It was indeed tatty and I was a bit reticent, but took some test shots anyway and the sharpness was amazing ............ done deal! Performance is far more important than looks, though ideally I would prefer both.

Bit of a clean, some paint and a LensCoat later and I am one happy bunny. My 200-400mm is my "Go To" lens, but when I need the reach, the Beastie comes out to play. I got it towards the end of last year and generally use it for around 25% of my shots. I am going to Bempton Cliffs in June and I am sure it will come out to play there.
                  Colin

Comment

Superb Colin
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Lovely image Colin, followed by an interesting story. My only question is what did you have to promise to Mrs C to get that lens, since you said your body parts were mostly intact?

Tom

Comment

Working...
                      X