What is wrong with this site???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is wrong with this site???

Is it me, I try to post a link to items I think people will enjoy about photography and it will not allow it as it deems it spam,

I now try to post pictures from my Flickr account and it also tells me I cannot do that as they are spam too, I am fast fallng out with this site due to the seemingly flawed architecture, I tried 3 or 4 times to post some photos I took and then it stopped me as it was saying then I had posted too many times. In the end I gave up and put them on talkphotography.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Re: What is wrong with this site???

The general excuse is that it is "over-zealous" spam filters. Contact the admins using the "Contact us" link and they will fix it for you.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

The site does occasionally have a funny five minutes - I've had the spam thing too from time to time - shutting down the site and giving it a bit of time usually seems to sort most issues.
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

*** Forbidden. Contains contacts. Message seems to be spam. ***

EVERY TIME.............................................. ............................................. I AM OUT OF HERE..
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Don't go yet Tony - have you tried contacting the admin?
          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Don't despair.

I recall that Robert mentioned some time ago that they get on average around 300 spam attempts per day, which the admin team deal with as and when they occur so that we get a spam free forum. However, I can appreciate that this takes a fair amount of admin time that could more usefully be spent on other tasks, therefore a more aggressive spam filter is beneficial to all. On the face of it, it would appear that the settings are perhaps a little too aggressive and a quick note to Robert will generally sort things out. I have had one or two minor problems in the past and Robert has sorted them out quickly.

Hope that helps.
            Colin

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I have whitelisted TonyT and clive65verde and this should resolve their problems.

As I have mentioned before, posting this type of complaint on the forum might make you feel better, but will not help you. Other members cannot deal with the issue. Use the 'Contact Us' link below.

As colin C says above, the filter we use keeps the forum spam-free. If anyone would like the filter removed so that spammers can fill the forum with their unwelcome and inappropriate messages, please let me know.
              Robert
              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott
                Thanks for the feedback.

As colin C says above, the filter we use keeps the forum spam-free. If anyone would like the filter removed so that spammers can fill the forum with their unwelcome and inappropriate messages, please let me know.
                No thank you, Robert. I've been a mod on another site for many years, and it used to keep several of us very busy almost full time just trying to keep up with the spam, some of it very dangerous, some of it very unpleasant, and all of it completely unwanted. Tightening spam filters obviously does cause some inconvenience for some users, but overall makes for a vastly better experience for all. I cannot imagine you would have the resources to keep up with it otherwise. And spam amongst images was frighteningly common - at best, links for Google's bots to pick up to artificially boost sites' SEO, but often quite hateful stuff.
                Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

I fully endorse Nick's comments.

If we can't visit spammers and "beat them with sticks until they stop", a good spam filter is the next best option. I'll keep the sticks handy just in case though!
                  Colin

Comment

Plus one for many thanks to Robert for sorting out my my little glitch. This is one of the best sites for moderation and worth the odd small inconvenience to keep our forum clean.

Dave
                    Dave , France 79

Comment

Thanks Robert, Sorted.

Comment

Working...
                      X