A Weekend at the NYMR.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Weekend at the NYMR.....

First visit of the year to the NYMR , it was supposed to be for the visit of the 'Union of South Africa' but unfortunately it was pulled due to a mechanical failure and replaced with the 'City of Wells' , a nice enough engine but not a Gresley !
    The NYMR actually had 5 Engines in steam on the Saturday ( B1 , Standard 4 Tank , 'Repton' , J27 and 'CoW' ) , weather wasn't too good (except when we were at Pickering ) . Now counting the days till our return to the Moors for our annual Holiday Fortnight .

5D4_0201BW

5D4_0136BW

5D4_0217BW
    Last edited by Gordon_H; 14-04-2019, 11:25.
    Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Re: A Weekend at the NYMR.....

Good set Gordon, like the colour versions on Flickr also.

Bill.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Cracking set, for me this is the best subject for mono

Paul

Comment

Nicely captured Gordon, well done. I cancelled a planned trip to NYMR when they announced the mechanical problems with the Union of South Africa.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

The Golden Arrow is a bit off it's traditional route...

A good set though I feel the third needs a bit more in the way of contrast.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Excellent set and well done Gordon

Tom

Comment

I too much prefer the colour ones on flickr, nice work.
              Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Many Thanks for the comments
                I was wondering if you were about Peter , It would appear you weren't the only one who cancelled a trip , The runs with the 'CoW' appeared to be a bit light of passengers especially compared to the Tornado one's of last year , the one in the first photo was the 1st run on the Sunday and i think they were lucky if they had 20 people on it ! Our coach was quite full on the Mid - Saturday run but on a wander to the Buffet car there were a few empty seats elsewhere . Grosmont didn't seem as busy either (the station and the pub) . I don't think the NYMR have done themselves any favours as according to the guy i was standing next to on the Sunday Morning they weren't offering full refunds to anyone who wasn't interested in the replacement Locomotive......
                Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S

Comment

Excellent work
                  Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Steam locos are prone to breaking down and are regularly replaced by another so no surprise there, not NYMR fault, indeed as the A4 is coming to the end of it's mainline certificate and is about to be "museumed" it's not really a surprise it is getting a few worn parts. It is due to haul two trains north of Edinburgh at the end of the month, I will not be surprised if at least one is hauled by a replacement.
                    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

An excellent set of images Gordon
                      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
                        Steam locos are prone to breaking down and are regularly replaced by another so no surprise there, not NYMR fault, indeed as the A4 is coming to the end of it's mainline certificate and is about to be "museumed" it's not really a surprise it is getting a few worn parts. It is due to haul two trains north of Edinburgh at the end of the month, I will not be surprised if at least one is hauled by a replacement.
                        I think the thing that 'Annoyed' a lot of people posting on Social Media was the fact that the NYMR didn't budge from their T&C's refund policy when clearly it wasn't the customers fault that the UoSA broke down and it wasn't the advertised Locomotive people had paid for (a few said that they had rode behind this engine on the ELR and weren't really interested in doing it ), it bit of a Goodwill would have went a long way in peoples eyes .
                        Up here in Newcastle we don't get the chance to do many Steam Hauled excursions (None would be closer to the mark !) , A few years ago one was advertised to start in Newcastle Steam Hauled , It went down the ECML to York , across to Leeds , up the S&C to Carlisle , and back to Newcastle . Great , booked it in a flash as i'd always wanted to do the S&C , then as it got to the time they changed it , tour started at York came up to Newcastle but we had to go to the Metrocentre station as it wasn't actually coming into the Central across to Carlisle down the S&C to York then the Steam Engine was changed to a diesel for the return to Newcastle . Managed to get a full refund out of them as it wasn't the trip i'd booked , less Steam Hauled and not going to / from the place i'd booked , they were very good about it and understood my disappointment .

From what i gather the UoSA Certification was about to be extended for a short period , also a company had also offered to repair , overhaul and run the Engine but the owner turned them down (as he did with the K4 'Great Marquess' on the NYMR when it broke down ) , he seems to prefer 'Museuming' them which is a shame .

Comment

Working...
                        X