Sigma Tele-lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigma Tele-lens

During the time I was using EOS 5 film camera, I purchased a 2nd-hand Sigma 400mm-f/5.6 APO lens. As expected, this lens is not compatible with current digital cameras. I have tried it on manual focus with my 5D/MK IV and founnd that it does not work on any settings. Sigma Technical Suppot stated that the lens is too old for retrofitting it. Is there a gimmick that could make this lens work, even in totally manual mode?

Vasilis, Greece
    EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Re: Sigma Tele-lens

Have you tried covering the pins with tape?
    It work for some material, see https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3950802

Comment

As far as I know taping over the contacts is the only option that may work but remember that you will probably be limited to fully open aperture.

I believe it is possible to set smaller apertures if you have a film camera it will work on, if you do the trick is to set the aperture with it mounted to that camera and then turn off the power. The lens should then remain at the set aperture when you take it off and tape up the contacts...
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
        As far as I know taping over the contacts is the only option that may work but remember that you will probably be limited to fully open aperture.

I believe it is possible to set smaller apertures if you have a film camera it will work on, if you do the trick is to set the aperture with it mounted to that camera and then turn off the power. The lens should then remain at the set aperture when you take it off and tape up the contacts...
        Set the aperture and trigger DOF preview, and then kill the power, I think, Nigel.
        Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Thanks for your response. I have not tried this yet. I checked the site you suggest; it takes careful reading to determine what contacts to cover, so, I plan to take some time for the job.
          Vasilis
          EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

Thanks for your response. I have no longer a film camera. ( I donated my two EOS film cameras, to a local club). In fact, I plan to give away this lens too to a friend who owns a digital EOS. (I own an EF 100-400mm lens I am very happy with). So I need to guide my friend on how to make the lens work.
            Vasilis

PS: It is funny that while in most of the cases I tried the lens on EOS 5d MK IV I got an error report, just SOME of the clicks resulted in actual photos. I cannot explain this...

Comment

Originally posted by Epicuros View Post
              Thanks for your response. I have no longer a film camera. ( I donated my two EOS film cameras, to a local club). In fact, I plan to give away this lens too to a friend who owns a digital EOS. (I own an EF 100-400mm lens I am very happy with). So I need to guide my friend on how to make the lens work.
              Vasilis

PS: It is funny that while in most of the cases I tried the lens on EOS 5d MK IV I got an error report, just SOME of the clicks resulted in actual photos. I cannot explain this...
              Was the lens set wide open on the shots that worked? I have a number of old Sigma lenses that don't work on digital cameras but I have found that they do seem to work as long as the aperture is set to maximum. Any attempt to use a smaller aperture gives Error 99 - even using the DOF preview button. I will say that this may only apply to older digital models - I know it works on my 20D & 40D.

I suspect at the very least you'll need to tape over the contacts that deal with the aperture controls but I fear that you may end up taping over all of them and using the lens like a purely manual one...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
              X