Challenge 152 Shopping!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 152 Shopping!

The challenge for this month is Shopping.

Love it or hate it we all have to do it in one form or another....the challenge is to make an image that describes shopping in some form or another, it could be traditional retail, local shops, superstores, street markets, shoppers in the street, on-line shopping, window shopping, purchases, retail marketing and advertising, packaging, payment transactions....whatever you think depicts the retail experience - whether its street style, product photography or studio set etc... its totally up to you to apply your creative preferences.....colour / mono / macro / long exposure / multiple exposure / HDR etc

Obviously be careful and mindful of photographing the public and photography on private premises including shopping malls.

For those new or shy on this forum or the many bird photographers, I would encourage you to enter. Hopefully in doing so you will challenge yourself and have a bit of fun at the same time.

Judging - is based on

* fulfilling the brief
    * a good photo - creativity is as equally important as technical excellence in this challenge- (though that comes as standard as we are all using Canon Cameras obviously)

The usual rules apply:-

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest maximum (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight Tuesday May 7th......so that covers the bank holiday (UK)
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Challenge 152 Shopping!

The results of Mrs R's enjoyment of shopping....

Handbags mono
    by AlexR!, on Flickr
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Shopping in Jenners Edinburgh.

4S7A5493 by David Miller, on Flickr
      Last edited by Daisy M; 05-05-2019, 11:14. Reason: out of date for challenge.

Comment

Open All Hours
        Shopping010 by Stackman1, on Flickr

Comment

Seafront shops on a chilly May bank Holiday!

Seafront Shops by Ian, on Flickr
          Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Just a reminder that this challenge closes at midnight.....
            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

The Transaction

[IMG]The transaction by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

I will be reviewing the five entries shortly....thanks to those who entered.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Five different approaches to this challenge are exhibited in these entries, all are technically fine with no exposure or focussing issues.

The first entry by Alex is perhaps the most creative, the subject being the result of retail and as such the retail concept is implied. Nice tones and a tight crop strengthen the image.

The second entry by DaisyM is a well executed indoor shot of a famous store, the shoppers milling around depicts what we perhaps recognise as shopping in a traditional sense.

The third entry by Stackman depicts the opposite end of retail spectrum, a classic British corner shop - with the multi role corner shop attributes of letterbox and recycling station making it a local hub. The colours are complimentary and the shop is nicely placed in its environment.

The fourth entry by Farida has nice diagonals within the colourful composition in typical English summer weather conditions (despite it being Spring)

The fifth entry by lunarbo captures the retail transaction, it is a perfectly timed image at the point of exchange of cash and purchase. The subjects are unaware of the capture making a natural documentary image.

Its so hard to select a winner from such a diverse set of images which all fulfil the brief.....so a strong element of personal preference is exercised here in selecting the top three:-

drum roll.....

……..

First is Stackman's 'Open all hours'

Second is AlexR's Handbags Mono

Third is lunarbo's 'The Transaction'

Thanks again to those who took the time and effort to enter.

So its over to you Stackman to set the next challenge!
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Congratulations Chris and well done to Alex and Bo and thanks to Brian for setting the challenge and the judging.

Look forward to seeing your new challenge Chris.

Ian
                    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks Brian, well done to you other three, what a pity we didn’t have more entries. So jeer them up Chris & get a few more members participating.

Comment

I have been away for a few days and I've only just seen this. I did not expect to win, well done to everyone else and thanks Brian for the comments.

The photo is the local village store, and I took it one evening on my daily walk.

This is the first time I've won any of the challenges.

Thanks
                        Chris

Comment

So well done to Stackman on your first win, lovely evocative image. And congrats to Bo too and thanks to Brian for setting, judging and commenting.
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Good to hear this is your first win Chris, you seem as surprised as I was when I won. Eagerly awaiting your subject for this month.
                            Dave

Comment

Yep so sorry for the poor turnout but congratulations to Stackman and Alex for their fine images, and to Brian for setting, judging and pertinent comments.

Onwards to the next !
                              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Working...
                              X