Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 SD card problem? - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD card problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SD card problem?

I use a Sandisk Ultra 32gb SD card,and when shooting in RAW as usual,the card normally shows a capacity of 1172 frames available.It was showing that amount prior to my Canterbury trip at the weekend,and everything I shot was fine.

Today I've bought a Canon BG-E8 battery grip from MPB which works ok,but now for some reason,the card capacity is showing as 1197.I've formatted it in the camera as normal.Test shots taken today appear to be ok.

I've tried with and and without the grip attached,but the capacity is still 1197.Do I need to be concerned about this sudden increase? I'm going to RAF Cosford museum with TonyT on Thursday whilst he's on a separate photo-shoot,and need to know please if the card is going to give me problems.

Re: SD card problem?

Well if it were me I don't think I'd be worried at all.

I don't know the capacity of my cards (like you the Sandisc Ultra) as although I usually shoot RAW I may change to jpeg if I'm just messing around or trying things out.

We are talking 2% here, maybe the pixels just shuffled around a bit??!!

However it would be good practice -as ever- to go on your shoot with a spare card and a spare battery........we've all learned the hard way on that one !
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Thanks Bo,I always have a spare battery in my bag,and I think a spare card is a good idea,I'll get one next time I'm near my local Argos.

Comment

The mystery is solved!Usually I have my ISO set to"Auto"(either max 400 or 800 depending on where I'm shooting),but whilst in Canterbury cathedral grounds at the weekend,I'd changed it manually to 100.

I've just changed it back to"auto"again and the number of frames has reverted to 1172!I've just looked it up and discovered that changing the ISO up or down manually alters the file size,which explains it all.

Once again,thanks Bo.
        Last edited by Guest; 23-04-2019, 18:17.

Comment

The shot count shown by the camera is only ever an estimation based on a typical average shot size according to the settings (file type, image size, image quality, ISO etc).

Actual file size stored can vary quite a lot. I noticed this some while back with my 40D while shooting on the coast, very clean shots with large amounts of sky resulted in much noticeably smaller files than close ups of objects on the sand - varying between about 8 & 12Mb according to the amount of detail recorded. High ISO files are also larger as the noise is effectively fine detail and therefore requires more recording space.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks Nigel,that explains it very clearly.

Comment

Working...
            X