Sticky mode dial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky mode dial

After a period of non-use, I got my 5D mark 1 out of my backpack, and found that the mode dial has become covered in something sticky. When I move it - there is no problem with it moving- my finger has a black sticky substance on it. Does anyone know what this is and how I can get rid of it please?

Alan
    Sometimes I drink water. I like to give my liver an occasional surprise!

Re: Sticky mode dial

The knurled perimeter of the mode dial on my 5D3 & 5D4 seems to be a rubbery ring - the 40D had hard plastic - I guess it could be the rubber deteriorating with time.

If that is the reason, then I suspect it's time for a trip to a Canon repair centre.

It seems you are not alone.

Expert news, reviews and videos of the latest digital cameras, lenses, accessories, and phones. Get answers to your questions in our photography forums.
    Last edited by John Liddle; 26-04-2019, 21:27. Reason: added link
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Hi,
      I used surgical spirit, did a good job on my Binoculars and a couple of other rubber coated items.
      Canon 5D Mk III, Canon 1100D, Canon 100mm f2.8 L Macro IS USM, Canon 24-70 f2.8 II, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II USM, Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD, Manfrotto CX055Pro4 Tripod, Wimberley Gimbal, 430EXII Flashgun, Manfrotto 3N1-25 PL Pro Light Backpack.

Comment

I used surgical spirit
        Thanks for the tip Bill.

The handle and storage box of my Arctic Butterfly (sensor cleaning brush) has got a bit tacky, will give this a try.
        Colin

Comment

Working...
        X