EOS 5D MK1 advice .... Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 5D MK1 advice .... Help!

I take pictures of small items to sell online and my old camera (not a Canon) .. has almost met it's maker.

A good friend of mine who used to work in advertising has always owned Canon EOSs and he has given me his oldest one .. a EOS 5D MK1.

I've read reviews and watched variuos articles on Youtube and I can see that this is a fantatstic camera and I'm luck to have it.

However .. I need some advice.

my current camera allows me to do 2 things that I'm pretty sure that the MK1 can't do which might be a problem.

1. I can view the final picture on the digital display when I half depressed the shutter button. This is important as it means I do not have to be bent right over the objects and I can take the final pictures quickly knowing that when I click the button that the settings I have selected are on the mark.

2. The final pictures need to be square. I take square pictures at the moment but I don't think the MK1 can do this at the moment the picture is taken.

I realise that I can use a some sort of batch cropping program to alter them but this does add another required action and therefore slows down the current process.

Problem 1 is the bigger of the two issues.

If anyone can advise I'd be really grateful. Have I got this right ... Is there no way of viewing the picture as it will turn out .. on the screen when taking the picture ....?

I appreciate any help...

Thanks

Jon

Re: EOS 5D MK1 advice .... Help!

Hi Jon, Welcome to the Forum.

The only way to see the image in its final form on any DSLR would be by using Live View.
    Unfortunately the 5D Mk1 doesn't have this feature.

Different formats by cropping a picture has only recently been introduced with the 6D Mkii I believe.

Both these features are usually found on Mirrorless Cameras.

Sorry I can't be more positive but someone else may have an idea.
    Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Thanks Bob,
      I've been looking through the manual and I had a bad feeling that "live view" isn't an option for me. Such a shame as it may well make this camera unsuitable for what I need it for. Do you have any idea which MK first provided this feature? I suppose I could sell this one and buy the oldest one that has it.
      Sorry to be naive but can you tell me which Canon models are mirrorless?
      Thanks
      Jon

Comment

You could consider acquiring either the appropriate Canon Angle Finder, or a 3rd-party substitute. These devices are often used for macro photography, so may suit your purpose.

With this, you would at least not have to bend right down to look though the viewfinder.

The current Canon version is the Angle Finder C (close on £200), which comes with adaptors which (I believe) allow it to fit to all EOS cameras.

The (cheaper) alternative is the Seagull which seems to be available from almost nothing second-hand - but I am not sure of its compatibility.

Hope this helps!
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I may be doomed with the MK1. I really need a way of seeing the picture (on the viewfinder) the way it's going to look ... before I push the button all the way down.
          Otherwise .. I'll be continually checking how the pictures look .. retaking ... etc ... and taking a lot longer than I currently do.

Comment

Anyone know when the EOS 5Ds started doing that?

Comment

The mk2 had it

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks ...

So did the MK2 allow you to view the image on the screen as it would appear in the picture when taken ... ie: too dark ... too light.. etc?

and ... Do you know if it allowed square pictures?

Comment

Canon Mirrorless are those in the EOS M & EOS R Range - just google them.
                  As far as I know the only Canon DSLR that allows square format (1:1) is the Canon EOS 6D Mkii.

If you only want to use a camera for the purposes you mention in your original post, then why not look an updated version of the one you have or use an mobile phone?
                  Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

The camera I have is excellant at taking lower light pictures. Much better than a phone.
                    They need to to be high quality macro pictures.
                    I could go for an updated version of the camera I have. After getting the Mk1 ... I've got a bit hooked versitility and quality.
                    However .. I haven't bought a macro lense yet and so I havn't given it a proper test yet.
                    Obviously ... if it doesn't do the other things I need it to do ... unless I trade up ... I won't be buying a macro lense.

Comment

Working...
                    X