Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 153 - A place that makes you happy

The challenge for this month is "a place that makes you happy"

To me this can be any place that makes you feel happy, for me it is going visiting cathedrals, castles, etc., they make me happy, or maybe it is just more opportunity to take photos. For others it may be a sports match, in front of the TV, a walk or anything else.

I would encourage you to enter, I didn't expect to win last the last challenge, if I can anyone can. This is just for fun.

Judging - is based,

* fulfilling the brief
    * a good photo - creativity is as equally important as technical excellence in this challenge- (though that comes as standard as we are all using Canon Cameras obviously)
    * something that tells a story about the place

The usual rules apply:-

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest maximum (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight Sunday 2nd June, so three weeks.

Good luck and please enter.

Chris

Re: Challenge 153 - A place that makes you happy

Just over a week to go.

Chris

Comment

Gone Fishing.

Gone Fishing by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

Oldevatnet lake, Norway. On my birthday. Happy.

Oldevatnet lake
        by AlexR!, on Flickr
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

St Ives in Cornwall

_OME9955-2 by brianvickers
          Last edited by @imagesBV; 31-05-2019, 19:56.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

An evening out at a local pub with good company and a game of skittles

Skittles by Ian, on Flickr
            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

The Widow, Sant Climent

My local village, tiny and traditional, makes me happy.

This weekend it’s the flower festival and the houses and shops are decorated with flowers and accessories showing much imagination and colour.
              This lady lives on the church square. She was born & raised in nΊ 14, married and buried her husband in the church and now lives at nΊ 4. This week would have been their 50th anniversary, hence her tribute to him.

She is surrounded by her memories and her solid weathered look is pure Menorquin.

I guess it's a place that makes her happy too............you just can't imagine her being anywhere else

[IMG]The Widow by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Many thanks for the entries, all were of a very high standard. Due to only having five entries are we not a happy lot? But more seriously, I was pleased to see the variety in the approaches. None were exactly what I was expecting.

I'm not going to go through each one as they were all technically very good and it was difficult to choose between them, each had something that related to being happy. So it is down to my personal preference and I think it was important to get a sense of where the person fits into the place, rather than just the place itself.

The top three in reverse order are:

3 - St Ives in Cornwall, lovely image and close to one of my happy places, Crantock,

2 - A game of skittles, great image, captured the entertainment and action of a pub game, a place to be happy,

and finally the winner for me was

1 - Gone Fishing, felt this really portrayed the place to be happy, lovely location and calmness, the fishing rod gave the sense of the person in the place where they were happy.

Well done everybody who entered and particularly David, so over to you for the next challenge.

Chris

Comment

Thank you Chris, well chuffed, apart from being with “ her indoors” I an honestly say this is the place I am most happy, Even if I don’t catch.
                  A good choice of subject Chris & you have made it hard to follow, but let’s hope we get a few more entries.

Comment

Well done David and Brian, both lovely pictures and thanks to Chris for the challenge and the judging.

Looking forward to your new challenge David!
                    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Congratulations Dave...and thanks for the challenge Chris.
                      I’m looking forward to the next one.
                      .....I have to wonder what can be done to get more entries?...let’s hope there are more next time.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks for the good challenge, Chris, which was one to make one think. Yes, a shame there weren't more entries but it has always ebbed and flowed over the years and we seem in a lull at the moment, but a few more regular entrants will pick it back up again.
                        Congratulations David, and thanks for sharing an image that showed something of your interests.
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Congratulations to David, Ian and Brian, and my thanks to Chris for setting and judging an interesting challenge

I have responded to Daisy's post on General Photo Discussion .........
                          Last edited by lunarbo; 04-06-2019, 11:25.
                          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Working...
                          X