Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nine Pines - Mono or Colour?

I can't make up my mind on this one.

I see this on the way back from Devon and there is nowhere to stop and pull in, but this time I thought it through in advance and found somewhere I could just get away with. I really pictured this scene in mean'n moody stormy weather, but it wasn't to be, but whatever, you take what you can get.

I have it in landscape and portrait mode: the composition works best in square format, but I keep changing my mind about whether mono or colour works best.

C18I9809b by colin cross, on Flickr

C18I9809d by colin cross, on Flickr
    Colin

Re: Nine Pines - Mono or Colour?

I can see your dilemma Colin, sadly I can’t decided either. But I’m just wondering if the blue in the sky was to be slightly less blue if that would tip the scales towards the colour version?

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

In this case I prefer the mono as the colours seem to make such a bleak terrain look fairy tale “ lovely”. But a cracking place to photograph.

Comment

Personally I prefer the colour version but do agree with Peter about the blue being a bit strong and maybe a bit too much of it, so would crop to half way down towards top of main cloud. Obviously you would then lose the square crop, unless you also cropped in from the side(s).

John

Comment

I'm a big fan of the square format (used a Rolleiflex once many years ago) & also of mono so that's my preference.
          Always interested to learn I am puzzled about your settings. 1/800 @ f16 suggests the clouds should be sharper unless wanted otherwise & you intentionally focussed quite close in. 800 ISO is also high for a traditional landscape.
          What were your thoughts?
          Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

What were your thoughts?
            Aha Bob ................. lack of concentration.

When I finish shooting, I always return my camera to "Typical Standard" settings. That means for most situations, I can just grab the camera and blast off a couple of shots, knowing I will get something reasonable at around the right settings. As I do wildlife mostly, I need fast shutter speeds and that mostly means high ISO's. On this occasion, I got a little carried away and although I changed the aperture to F16, didn't pay too much attention to the initial shots, but when I realised I was shooting landscapes on a monopod, dropped the ISO to 100 which gave shutter speeds between 1/60th and 1/125sec.

Having said all that and corrected the settings, I prefer the early few shots as the cloud works better with the trees, having moved over time.
            Colin

Comment

Colin

Thanks for the explanation!
              I tend to set my 6D to Program with Auto ISO for the 'grab' shot.
              I could use Custom settings if I remember.
              Not for your 1DX Mkii though
              Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

For me it is the mono and I really like the square format. If this had been film, I would have suggested that you over filtered, using a red filter when an orange or yellow would have been better. But I would have been happy taking these.

Chris

Comment

Here is another version Bob with camera settings more considered.

Quite a bit further back, so a bit more telephoto dialled in, so I have lost the foreground trees. Surprising how the light changes in just a few minutes.

C18I9825a by colin cross, on Flickr
                  Last edited by colin C; 20-05-2019, 19:38.
                  Colin

Comment

Nice, but still mono for me.
                    The figure adds something.
                    Bob

Comment

As shown the colour works better. The mono is a bit flat and needs more oomph, something like...

Colin Cs Hill

...I think.
                      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Nice edit Nigel, which makes the BW choice even better

Tom

Comment

Nice one Nigel, I shall give that one a try ............ many thanks.
                          Colin

Comment

Colour one for me Colin

Is Nine Pines anywhere near Seven Oaks ?
                            Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

I think I prefer the Mono and the initial shot with the foreground trees

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X