• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Choosing a New Camera

Hi, I have a 600D which I use with the following lenses
    • Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II
    • Canon Zoom EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM
    • Sigma 10-20mm1:3.5 DC HSM
    • Canon Zoom EF-S 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS (Original Kit Lens)
    • Sigma DG 150-500mm1:5-6.3 APO HSM

I would describe myself as an enthusiastic amateur, I belong to the local camera club, enter the competitions, print my own prints on an R3000 and subscribe to LR & PS.

The majority of my photography is 'take the camera when we go out on trips, holidays etc and take some pictures'.

I feel like technology has moved on a that I'd benefit from a new camera, certainly less noise at the higher ISO settings.

So given that I am unlikely to be able to change my lenses at this time I spend ages reading reviews about Canon cameras but find myself unable to make a choice, not so much because of the cost but because I am unable to determine whether my images would be of any better quality ( I realise the actual image is all down to me and how I process it ).

I've been looking at the R and RP, but then I get drawn to a new RF 24-105 lens, but I've got a 24-105 etc

So to my key question. If I do not change my lenses will I really gain any benefit from a new camera?

Thank you for your help

Re: Help Choosing a New Camera

Sensor size and pixel count will affect what you can capture and reproduce - but obviously that can be very much a matter of personal priorities. Ask yourself what you would like your camera to do for you and then go back to the hunt!

In my case, I moved on to full frame when I realised that most of the pictures I kept were crops of something else and I wanted to reduce the degradation in quality. You may find that if there is an increase in processor speed your will see an immediate benefit in useability for some kinds of work.

Hopefully this may give you some food for thought!

Martin

Comment

As you do not appear to concentrate on Wildlife, or Sport photography, I would recommend the 6D MKII. A solid full frame performer, without the bells and whistles of the 5D MKIV, but priced accordingly.
      Colin

Comment

If you go for a full frame, such as 5D or 6D, your EFs 28-135 wouldn’t be compatible and possibly the two Sigmas as well (not certain on those though).

John

Comment

Why not consider renting a couple of bodies and taking a day out shooting with the various lenses and bodies and compare your results to see what you may gain.

Comment

Working...
          X