Some advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some advice please

As most on this forum are aware I do not like adjusting my shots to any real degree. But photographing bright colours like these Azaleas in my garden, always come out not to sharp & gaudy. What sort of settings should I be doing in camera to sharpen them. Dave

test3 by David Miller, on Flickr

test by David Miller, on Flickr

test 2 by David Miller, on Flickr

Re: Some advice please

I think the reason may be to do with the sensor (presumably the auto focus one) which I believe I was advised was sensitive to red light which, when exposing for the whole frame, may well result in the red flowers being apparently over exposed. Just a thought, but it may be worth trying under exposing or spot metering.

Another idea may be to tailor a picture style by reducing the saturation and/or increasing the sharpness/fineness (I am assuming that this is available on the 7d2, I don’t have one so apologies if it doesn’t have this)

This phenomenon is something I noticed on the 5D3 but haven’t had opportunity to try on the EOS R yet
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks Ian, I shall try & find out re the 7d2 as I or gone that deep into functions.

Comment

Dave, I've seen this phoneme with every Canon DLSR I have own. I know you don't like to do post adjustments, however with reds I have found that post adjustments were necessary to bring them back in line with the rest of the image. Based on Ian's suggestion I would give that a try if you are shooting mostly reds.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom, if it ever stops raining here I will give it a go.

Comment

I take a lot of images of paintings and red (in its truest form as a primary colour) always needs knocking back a bit. I'm happy to do this in post production but I like Ian's idea about creating a Picture Style. Now why didn't I think of that..........?
            Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Working...
            X