Focus Stacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Focus Stacking

I am looking for focus stacking software for the Mac.

So far I have read about Heliconfocus and PhotoAcute Studio.

Has anyone used either of these, and what are they like? Are there any descent Mac alternatives?
    Dave

Re: Focus Stacking

Hi Dave,

I use Helicon, and it works very well at default settings. I've also used CombineZM but I don't think there's a Mac version.

My biggest problem is actually shooting the frames. My eyesight combined with the small 350D viewfinder makes it impossibly difficult to see what's in focus. My problem was partially solved by a suggestion from another Helicon user. (Rob aka carregwen) See below.

Here's a rose bud using Helicon to stack 16 frames and achieve a DOF of about 1.5 inches.

EOS 350D, EF-S 60mm macro, f5.6, ~1/3 sec, ISO 100.

Regards,
    Stuart

Here's what Rob said.

Originally posted by carregwen in an earlier universe
    A new technique I tried yesterday is to...

1. Get the furthest point in manual focus through the viewfinder.
    2. Stand up and look at the barrel adjuster of the lens.
    3. Take one shot
    4. Without looking through viewfinder again, fractionally $$ turn the adjuster and shoot. Repeat until you are sure you have moved beyond focus of the nearest point of the subject - you can check through viewfinder.

I find doing it that way you take more shots, which is what you want, but you don't have to use them all. You end up with a shot more in focus. Because you are not looking through the viewfinder you tend to turn the adjuster a smaller amount.

Told you that you needed patience. "
    $$ and he really means fractionally!!
    Comment and Criticism welcome.
    Edits OK as long as they're not B&W conversions.

Comment

Thanks for that Stuart, and for the tips on technique. There is something special about an image with unlimited DOF. Have you tried it on landscape photographs yet?
      Dave

Comment

Hi Dave

I use Helicon, and I find it excellent - very accurate. The quote from Stuart above is often a good way to do it if you have eyesight problems.Make sure your diopter is correct as you are manually focussing. Have a look at this post from yesterday on focussing and diopters. http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...hlight=diopter

A sturdy tripod helps. Helicon deals with variances when matching, but there are limits.

You can use studio lights or flash when taking the shots. It should be consistent. Mine come out quite dramatic-looking due to good lighting (studio lights).

You can get macro focussing rails to hold your camera. I have not tried them. I think you can get them on Ebay, or here http://reallyrightstuff.com/macro/02.html

Here's one I posted yesterday, to give you an idea.
        http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/showthread.php?t=484
        Last edited by carregwen; 01-09-2009, 04:58.

Comment

The quote from Stuart above is often a good way to do it if you have eyesight problems.
          I've slightly modified the technique since you first posted it. Draw a + on a piece of paper and place it in front of the subject, just touching the nearest point. AF on the +, remove paper, switch to MF. You're now focused nicely just in front of the subject. Then wind the focus ring back (anti-clockwise) until focus passes behind the subject.

You can get macro focussing rails to hold your camera.
          I've not tried moving the camera to produce different focus frames, but I did make up a crude table for the subject using a few bits of wood and a 7mm bolt. Same difference. Helicon threw a wobbly over the change in subject size between the near and far frames and I got all sorts of ghosting in the stacked image.

Regards,

Stuart
          Comment and Criticism welcome.
          Edits OK as long as they're not B&W conversions.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Rae View Post
            I've not tried moving the camera to produce different focus frames, but I did make up a crude table for the subject using a few bits of wood and a 7mm bolt. Same difference. Helicon threw a wobbly over the change in subject size between the near and far frames and I got all sorts of ghosting in the stacked image.

Regards,

Stuart
            Yes, I can imagine that's a problem. I think the camera rigs are OK for macro panoramas (what a thought!) where the camera is moved to the side. But forward/back movement may be a problem if you move it too much. I haven't tried them myself, I just use my tripod and adjust the lens. Your method sounds good. Thanks.

rob

Comment

I purchased on of these from eBay. I'm sure it's not as good as the Manfrotto version but it works, has adjustable friction and secures to the tripod and camera well.

hth
              Ian

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input – I think I'll give Helicon a go.
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                  Thanks for everyone's input – I think I'll give Helicon a go.
                  You might want to download the free trial first. If you don't like it you don't have to pay anything.

Comment

Combine ZP is free and well worth getiing hold of, even if its just to experiment with.

Graeme

Comment

Working...
                    X