Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens advice please

Hi everyone,

I’m new here and new to Canon DSLR cameras. I’m currently using an EOS M6 and an EOS M100.

I have an interest in bird photography. If I can get relatively close to subjects I get a pretty good result I think. However, trying to get a decent up close and sharp image from my living room to the bird table which is only 20ft away seems impossible. I’m using an EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lens thinking this would get me good clear and up close pictures with a bit of post editing. Am I using it wrongly? I thought it was a (admittedly budget) telephoto lens. I can see further with my specs!

Does anyone have any advice please?

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy

Re: Lens advice please

Regrettably none of the 75-300mm models have a good reputation - they are notorious for being soft at the long end where most people want to use them. Better options are the 70-300mm IS USM versions (MkI or II) or the slightly shorter EF-S 55-250.

Even at 20ft you may find a 300mm lens is not long enough for the smaller birds but at least if you are starting off with an acceptably sharp and well resolved image from a better quality lens you can crop the image more severely without compromising quality to an unacceptable degree.

Have you got any examples you could show us? Ideally hosted on site like Flickr is best as direct uploading to this forum does soften the pictures quite badly.

How experienced are you with post production, particularly with regards to sharpening?
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
      Regrettably none of the 75-300mm models have a good reputation - they are notorious for being soft at the long end where most people want to use them. Better options are the 70-300mm IS USM versions (MkI or II) or the slightly shorter EF-S 55-250.

Even at 20ft you may find a 300mm lens is not long enough for the smaller birds but at least if you are starting off with an acceptably sharp and well resolved image from a better quality lens you can crop the image more severely without compromising quality to an unacceptable degree.

Have you got any examples you could show us? Ideally hosted on site like Flickr is best as direct uploading to this forum does soften the pictures quite badly.

How experienced are you with post production, particularly with regards to sharpening?
      El Sid,

Again thank you. I appreciate you taking time out.

You've more or less confirmed what I was thinking regarding this lens. no examples uploaded to Flikr as yet as I was too disappointed to bother! I will look to upgrade the lens soon though.

I'm very inexperienced with post production but it is something I like messing about with Lightroom and stuff like that when I get the time.

Thanks again.

Andy

Comment

It's possibly worth sharing one anyway because you may have a perfectly decent lens but used less than optimal settings (shutter speed) or massively high ISO which could both result in images that lack detail...
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response. I've attached a picture. This was the best I could get after cropping without the picture losing all clarity. It's not that clear anyway.
          I set the camera at 5.6 aperture and 800 iso. I think I left shutter speed to sort itself out.

3C740EA4-236F-4FF0-B4A1-71D358847B7E by Andy Morris, on Flickr

Comment

ISO 800 and 1/1000 should be fine on an M Series camera I would think. Pretty much confirms it's the lens doesn't it.
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Shutter speed is OK and the noise looks well controlled.

I would advise you avoid using the lens wide open as few lenses, other than those in the 'Ouch my wallet' L category, are at their best fully open. I suggest trying a stop or two down at f8 to f11. This should improve the overall sharpness and get you a bit more resolution.

With lenses there's no substitute for quality which unfortunately costs. That said some more modern budget lens can be surprisingly good, the one below is from my EF-s 55-250mm at f8 on an old 20D...

Mallard Ducklings-01
              by Nigel Hayes, on Flickr
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I'll try it on the suggested settings but I'm not convinced I'll get it as sharp as that El Sid. Fantastic picture. I'll keep playing though.
                Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.

Comment

I am far from an expert like the above comments, I have the same lens & get on okay with it, just a thought, is this through double glazing or an open window?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
                    I am far from an expert like the above comments, I have the same lens & get on okay with it, just a thought, is this through double glazing or an open window?
                    Hi Daisy, it’s through a double glazed window.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyGTC View Post
                      Hi Daisy, it’s through a double glazed window.
                      Well, there's your answer! Try without the window - I think you will see a very considerable improvement!
                      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Ah. You don’t want to do that. It’s going to knacker quality.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. Every day's a school day
                          Appreciate you taking time out to advise.

Comment

So I changed tack following the helpful advice. New lens, different position from which to photograph and not behind glass. I’m beginning to see the difference it makes. Thanks again.

Jackdaw by Andy Morris, on Flickr

Comment

A definite improvement Andy
                              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                              X