Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At last a Badger

Hi All,

On and off I have been watching this Badger sett for 3 years, finally I saw some cubs in daylight, unfortunately there is masses of vegetation around the holes, left deliberately by the Drainage people who look after the drains which criss cross the fens, I just could not get a clean shot, as I am sure people can tell I have had to clone out various bits of green stuff from across the body, being my first ever I am still happy.

1 by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

Paul

Re: At last a Badger

Well caught Paul, wouldn't worry about the vegetation - shows the animal in it's natural environment.
    I would be extremely pleased if I had captured a shot like this.

Bill.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Paul, what a great shot, a natural looking shot of a sow badger in its normal environment. Shots like this are not easy to get, I've got a Sett in my woods that I no longer bother to photograph - Why, because it would be the same type of shot every time, badgers emerging from sett, having a good scratch, bit of in-fighting before trotting off for the nights foraging (they will come out to my call knowing there are peanuts waiting for them) I know there are people who just love that type of shot - badger sitting on a mound (Spoil heap) nice clean OOF background and every hair on its body pin sharp, nothing else to clutter the image - what I term the 'Field Guide Image' the same can be said of some bird shots, bird sitting on top of twig with blue sky BG, I appreciate with birds its the only option you got. Pictures such as these don't tell a story in my opinion. Your's does, over the yeas I spent thousands of hours studying badgers and also trying to get decent shots of them foraging away from the sett - like yours - it takes a lot of the three P's to achieve.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Well seen and captured. Great shot
        Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Great shot Paul, well taken, I don't worry about cloning stuff out, as Bill said, nature at it's best
          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Thanks for looking and the kind comments, especially the shared experiences, much appreciated

Paul

Comment

Working...
            X