Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is the last flying B24J Liberator in the world and.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the last flying B24J Liberator in the world and.......

..... on 14th September 1945, my father was the pilot of this very aircraft and......

..... on Monday, courtesy of the Collings Foundation (https://www.collingsfoundation.org/) I had a flight in it - a rather emotional event from which I am not yet fully recovered.

KH191 by John Liddle, on Flickr

Although tricked out as "Witchcraft", a very famous US Liberator (which no longer exists) under the paint the aircraft is in fact KH191 - an RAF Liberator, which saw out the end of the war as part of 8 Squadron, flying out of Ceylon (as it then was).

My Dad only flew it on one occasion, but fly it he did. It is amazing that two of the planes he flew should have survived - he also flew the static example in Pima Air & Space Museum (https://pimaair.org/?gclid=EAIaIQobC...SAAEgIgHfD_BwE) in Arizona.

It was a bit of a risk flying all the way to the US to take the flight (weather might have cancelled it) - but one which turned out to be very worthwhile.
    Last edited by John Liddle; 01-06-2019, 12:29.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: This is the last flying B24J Liberator in the world and.......

What a fantastic and emotional experience John. I'm really glad it came off for you.

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Oh wow what a story and what an experience it must have been for you, great stuff, thanks for sharing that

Paul

Comment

What a brilliant and moving experience that must have been for you John. That there are two aircraft your father flew, in that era still around is amazing. Thanks for sharing the experience with us [emoji106]

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story John, can imagine how emotional it must have been for you

We visited the Pima air museum in the 90s and checking my prints ( remember them ) I do not have a shot of the Liberator, looking through the museum guide I noticed it was in hanger 3 and we had not been into them

Alan

Comment

Anther thank you for sharing your experience. The pride shows through.
            Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Working...
            X