Sensor Cleaning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sensor Cleaning.

I'm not that fastidious with sensor cleaning. Nearly all of my images are one stop down from wide open and quite often wide open, so I never get down to F16 or smaller, where any dust bunnies will show up on the final image. Then, I shoot a landscape and want lots of depth of field and go for F16 and find I have an image full of dust bunnies. Even worse, I missed out on a free sensor clean at a Canon Pro day, just a week before.

I have all the gear for this including a 10x loupe with led lights, but it just doesn't focus on full frame sensors - ok with 1.6 and 1.3 crop sensors, so I have to do it the long way:

• Take an out of focus shot of a well lit white subject - paper or card, or a white wall, @ F16, or F22.
    • Upload to computer, adjust contrast to provide just whites and blacks to show the extent of sensor dust.
    • Open the sensor and use a hand blower, sensor brush, or Arctic Butterfly brush to remove dust.
    • Take another shot, upload, adjust contrast and examine results.
    • A lot of my remaining spots were circular and most likely oil spots, so required a wet clean.
    • I use Sensor Swab with Eclipse E2 fluid for a wet clean.

Altogether, I had eight attempts to clean the sensor to my satisfaction and including the start and finish shots, that was nine photo's and uploads.

I should now be ready to shoot a few landscapes in a week or so's time, when I am in Bridlington, Bempton and the Farne Islands.
    Colin

Re: Sensor Cleaning.

I'm glad you got that cleaned up Colin!
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

It maybe cleaned Colin, but it’s not clear in my mind what the heck you have done. Way beyond my knowledge.

Comment

Way beyond my knowledge.
        Using a setting on the camera, it opens the shutter so that you can remove any dust, or oil spots that have settled on the sensor. I had to learn old school, but there are plenty of videos on uTube etc. these days to show how and why. Hope that helps.
        Colin

Comment

Working...
        X