Re Forum Photo Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re Forum Photo Challenge

Having just come 1st in the challenge I was disappointed in just 4 entries on such a interesting subject. Why do you think the entries have dropped during this year? What could be done to boost number of participants? Why do those of you that have put in shots in the past stopped doing so now? I would love to know before I set next month challenge.
    Dave

Re: Re Forum Photo Challenge

Well, David, I wish I knew !

When I made my first entry about 5 years ago the number of entrants was regularly around 30 and nowadays it seems the numbers are between 4-14.

Over the years I've been here the forum varies in tone and composition according to those regular participants and currently most are exhibiting their own work but not wanting to enter any type of contest:- be it this Photo Challenge,the Monthly Theme or even the End of Year Showcase

I always try to enter so as to try something new and stretch myself. If I've won a challenge I always encourage new posters to enter for this reason.

It's seasonal of course and full summer and Xmas time are often graveyards

For what it's worth I think the topic needs to be specific - so "my best shot this month" or "my favourite lens" don't point us in any direction.

Something relatively simple but open to our personal interpretation - eg the Colour Orange, Time , Circles, have probably been of most interest and got a reasonable response.

However as we all know you can take a horse to water.......................

I do think pushing yourself helps promote progress and since most- but not all- new members on here say ""I'm new to photography or new to my DSLR" then we must surely soldier on : I share your frustration though!
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Overall the forum is much quieter than it once was which is likely to be a factor...
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Took your advice Bo & have made the challenge the colour Red. Just hope we get a few more participants to get my brain stretched .
        Dave

Comment

As a matter of interest we have never had huge amounts of entries, this is the number over time:
          challenges graph.jpg

But the last time we had the theme of 'Red' we got 14 entries, so a good choice.
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Wow you have been busy, but a very interesting graphic, thanks Alex, let’s hope we get 14 this time. Dave

Comment

This is interesting Alex....it would be interesting to see what the trend line looks like....slightly downwards I suspect but not greatly - and it maybe normalised and in line with the number of active members.
              It also appears from your analysis that every 10th or 12th challenge sees a low level of entries but the lows of recent times are not quite as low as some of the earlier ones.

The 'demographic' of members or at least their posts is indicated by the subject of posts on the forum...there are vastly more bird posts than any other genre and the challenges don't go into that territory.....a record number of entries would be received I suspect if the subject was bird related.

Which leads me to think that perhaps we should have several challenge categories but otherwise leave the subject open...i.e. monthly landscape challenge, monthly bird challenge, monthly black and white challenge, monthly people and portrait challenge etc...open to everyone of course.
              This might entice us to have a go at new genres that we wouldn't otherwise have a go at.

Just an observation but as mirrorless smaller alternatives are so good now from Canon and other manufacturers there is a lesser need for a traditional dSLRs….most people will swap over once convinced that mirrorless can satisfy their needs....hence the only people hanging on to a dSLR are those that need them...i.e. bird and sports photographers...which is maybe why most posts are within those genres?
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Oh Alex it must have been a very wet afternoon! Impressive work, top of the class .

Which leads me to think that perhaps we should have several challenge categories
                Well we do have the monthly theme which occasionally raises its head above the parapet then goes back down to sleep again.

I think if the birdie folk wanted to join the challenge they would find a way- with a Red bird for instance or a Nature Reserve that makes them Happy!

As I understand it this forum is for Canon EOS camera owners - which include the M & R series, there's even a section for compacts so presume there will always be new members who have just bought a new camera and want to get in the swing.

It's going to take quite a few years before I consider changing from my 5d4 & 80d. Not only do I love them both but I've invested too much in good glass and don't feel adding another bit in the middle - an adapter - seems right somehow.

Not to mention the expense involved ............ I can't be the only one with this mindset - ie old fashioned!
                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Working...
                X