New Printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Printer

I’m looking at getting a new printer as my existing one is now refusing to print in colour, and, looking to the future, I’m thinking about a PRO-10S. I don’t do a lot of printing at the moment but it is something that I’d like to do and the ability to print A3 is something I’m interested in (together with the high quality)

I’d be interested to hear any comments from existing users of this printer so I can perhaps better gauge whether to spent a sizeable lump of money getting one.

Thanks

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Re: New Printer

I have one Ian.

It will do up to A3+ and printable CD's. It can be used via USB cable or wireless, but as mine is next to my computer, I use the USB. The general profiles are quite good for Canon papers, but a custom profile really makes them perform. There are two downsides:

1. Before you get your first print, it goes through a thorough head cleaning process. Not a problem if you save your prints up and print all in one go, but a bit wasteful of ink if you only print one now and again ........... but this is the same for many high end printers.

2. It uses Canon 72 ink, which is no longer stocked by my Canon Pro shop. With the suggestion of other members, I have sourced a couple of online suppliers, so no major problem, but I always keep a full set of spare inks just in case.

It is a big, heavy, well built piece of kit that has proved totally reliable in the 18 months I have owned it and I look forward to using it for many years to come. My previous Canon i9950 only lasted 16 years!
    Colin

Comment

Thanks for the reply Colin, it was helpful. I expect to have to use wireless as it’ll be to big to go near the computer so that will need organising, I always keep a full set of inks behind be anyway for safety. How often do you buy new inks?
      Ian

Comment

How often do you buy new inks?
        Thankfully not too often. The first set ran out fairly quickly and I think the set supplied was new, but only part filled. Why do manufacturers do that? You pay hundreds and hundreds for their printer and they only supply half filled inks? Anyway, back to the plot, I have bought 4 sets of inks, but that includes a full sets a spare.

When I am prompted to change an ink tank and it breaks into the spare set, that is obviously my trigger point to buy a new set. But, I also look into print utilities and check the remaining inks status and any inks that are looking a bit low, I also add to my order.
        Colin

Comment

I have the Pro 10....tend to keep a box of spares (full set) which I write dates on to make sure I use the oldest first....I normally buy in what I need based on showing as only 1/3 full with extra chromium optimiser and blacks as I get through those quicker. Tend to need to order some every 6 - 8 months.
          If not used for a while you can usually predict that one or two will need to be replaced before the printer will work. Sometimes it will print by pressing the orange button and without changing to new cartridges. Had mine for about 4 years now.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Colin and Brian, Your responses are appreciated. Looks to be a good option. My existing Epson is 4 years old and now refuses to print in colour, cleaning just uses ink and doesn’t resolve the issue, don’t think a repair is going to be worthwhile so I may just retain it for the scanner which is fine.

Ian
            Ian

Comment

Working...
            X