X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birkenhead Docks

19:03 Warehouse_2_0820
    by Stephen Thompson, on Flickr

A dockside warehouse seen from Duke Street bridge over Birkenhead's West Float. In the middle ground the funnels of Stenaline ships moored in the River Mersey can be seen, with the silhouette of Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral in the distance.

Re: Birkenhead Docks

Interesting photo, shame about the grey sky. For me I would have lost a bit of the foreground.

Chris

Comment

A very nice composition and sympathetic processing!
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Nice picture, brings back a few memories - I canoed up there many moons ago on a night exercise.
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Like the composition and the processing you have done. It gives the image an almost painter like expression. The only thing I would do is remove a bit of that pier on the right side to make it less dominant in the image.

Tom

Comment

Love that and an excellent composition, I wonder what it would be like with something like a big stopper on.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Chris: I'm sorry but we're going to have to disagree. In my opinion the overcast sky makes a huge contribution to the mood of this shot, influencing the foreground reflection and allowing the colourful main subject to dominate. I'm happy with the amount foreground as this helps to place the main subject nicely within the rule of thirds.

Brian, Trev: Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.

Tom: Yes I had thoughts about a pseudo-painting effect too. I was keen to keep the tower/chimney but overlooked the intrusion of the little pier on the right. Thanks for your observation.

TonyT: A big stopper! Hmm, food for thought there - skating on ice - maybe next time! Many thanks for your comments.

Best wishes to you all, and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Steve.

Comment

Working...
              X