X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Daffodil

19:03 Daffodil_0817_bw
    by Stephen Thompson, on Flickr

Liverpool's once famous Royal Daffodil ferryboat, now languishing in Birkenhead docks.

Re: Royal Daffodil

Rightly taken in B&W, but what a shame it is there.

One would have thought it was worth preserving. A couple of months in dry dock, engine overhaul, a lick of paint and it should be good for another couple of decades.
    Colin

Comment

Lovely nostalgic image.

Used to see this boat regularly when I worked in Liverpool in the early eighties. She was then known as 'Overchurch' but was always the reserve boat for 2 the other Mersey Ferries.

From Wikipedi - "In April 2019, Merseytravel confirmed that Liverpool City Sights Ltd had taken ownership of the vessel and it is to become a floating leisure attraction in Liverpool. The ferry is being refitted over Spring and Summer 2019 before moving to her new berth at Canning Dock. Refitting is to include restoration of the ferry, though she will no longer be operational and used in a static role."

At least she won't rot away!
      Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Nicely taken and and processed in BW. Just a little tip in that you might want to add a bit more contrast to darken the blacks and pop the whites just a bit.

Tom

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Let's hope that she gets the refit that she deserves. I look forward to seeing her in Canning Dock, maybe next year.

Tom: I aimed to retain as much detail as possible, so I'm not sure that increasing the contrast would work for me, but many thanks for your observation.

Steve.

Comment

Well taken and processed. THe news re the refit and future use is good as we are losing so many iconic items from our past. We, as photographers may be the lst chance for many things to be remembered.
            Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

A fine record of an important ship and mono was a good choice

There's a bit of halo which may come from sharpening during the processing - I was advised (on here) to leave the detail sliders until the very end.

Cheers,
              John

Comment

I've just checked the original (colour) jpg. The halo is there right from the start, possibly due to my ageing 'economy' lens.

I rather suspect that the halo has not taken kindly to processing.

Steve.

Comment

Working...
                X