EOS magazine advert
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this forum dying?

Default Re: Is this forum dying?

I’d like this forum to be my only forum but it is primarily a Canon Equipment forum and that may actually be its saving grace....that it is a uniquely valuable source of expert information....I don’t know of any other brands that can boast having such a well informed independent facility.
    I find from a photographic rather than gear viewpoint there are other more well furnished forums covering other genres that are not popular here. Although many threads do offer excellent advice about technique.
    This site might fall short photographically but it is head and shoulders above any other regarding Canon EOS equipment and how to use it.
    I’d welcome Robert’s view...as regards mission, purpose, scope etc is his domain.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Member*

Very good points have been raised but the thing we must all be thankful for is the quality of the postings (not just images) that this forum receives. Compared with some others I've seen we are a polite, sensible and helpful bunch of people and, for me, it's a joy to be part of the group and long may it keep going.

We cannot judge people for their involvement or otherwise. The number of postings shouldn't matter. If it did I wouldn't be happy having been involved for 10 years and 'only' 300 odd postings - does that reflect my involvement? No.

Alan & Tom have highlighted the fact that few members post the most images and that posters come & go. Both points are inevitable in any group.
    There is no doubt that our Wildlife photographers produce wonderful images but not everybody is interested in those subjects.
    80% of my output relates directly to voluntary work for an organisation involved in the promotion of Art and copyright issues can prevent me from posting a lot of those images but I will certainly look to post more images if I can.

Finally, nobody should feel that their images are not good enough for display - we can all learn from others.
    Rant over!

I
    Bob

EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, G12 Powershot, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

As far as posting pictures goes I must admit that I have been a bit quiet on that front for some time now. Some of it's down to not using my Canons as much (I also use Other Brands...), a slump in processing (I seem to take shots and then struggle to find the enthusiasm to do much with them) and a touch of photographers block - a general lack of inspiration...

It's not just this forum that's quieter than it was, the AP forum used to be a real hive of activity but that too seems to be mainly the province of a small hardcore of regulars and Newbies with their typical ranges of questions.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Quote Originally Posted by brianvickers View Post
    I’d welcome Robert’s view...as regards mission, purpose, scope etc is his domain.
    Not really my domain - I just try to moderate. This mostly involves keeping the spammers at bay. I rarely need to intervene over a post by a member.

The forum was set up to provide a place for photographers to discuss EOS photography by posting images or asking and answering questions about equipment and technique. Forum members determine, within reason, what appears in these threads.

Member*

3L3A7225a.jpg

Old stone house in Edipsos, a spa in Greece

Member*

3L3A7231.jpg

A fishing boat. Typical sight in the seas of Greece. The day was overcast, and initially the image was bland. I used the "remove haze" button of PS Elements and the image was improved considerably.
    Last edited by Epicuros; 22-06-2019 at 07:26.

Member*

3L3A7297.jpg

Street photograph at "Psyri" (near Plaka, in Athens).

Member*

I thought I should contribute to reviving the photo posting part of the Forum, so, I uploaded three recent photos...
    Vasilis

I joined this excellent forum almost 10 years ago, the members are friendly and helpful, many of who I consider friends.
    I have even met up with a few members which is something I love doing.
    This forum is also free, so thank you Robert.

I have had a few issues over the years, financially and health wise, and the members came to my rescue which I will be eternally grateful.
    I have been without a camera for a while but I'm back with a 7D mkII.
    I have not contributed by posing photos as I have not been out with the camera much. I only went out with the camera 2 or 3 times last year.
    I have been out with the camera twice this year which includes this week's holiday trip to Anglesey. I will hopefully post some photos over the next few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
    The problem is that it is a very few members that show pictures. You see the same few names over and over. What can we do to encourage more members to display their work. A recent forum challenge had just 4 entries apparently so these are not the way to do it. I worry because I belonged to another site that went the same way and eventually disappeared altogether.
    We do have a few good members that post photos most days, yes it's the same few names over and over but they inspire me and seeing their excellent photos encourage me to do better.
    I agree that it would be nice to see photos from more members.
    Maybe the forum challenges don't have more entries because of the high standard of photos posted by the more experienced members, so the newcomers just don't bother. Maybe have two competitions including one purely for the newcomers where the topic for the newcomer competition is chosen by Robert and voted on by all the members.
    I don't know how to encourage more new members or the answer to the question "is this forum dying?", but I hope not.
    Canon 7D mkII, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II, EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Member*

I used to follow this forum regularly, but must admit I have not been on here for some time, mainly because I have not been very active with my cameras recently due to health problems. I must admit to not having posted many images on here, mostly because I choose not to use Flickr or other platforms, and when I have posted images directly I have been told the image quality is not as good because of this.
    John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12