Is this forum dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is this forum dying?

This topic comes round from time to time and I always get the feeling that post processing is often considered an evil. The days of film are often held up as a measure of faithful recording of what's seen though as John has already mentioned the dynamic range of the human eye is far greater than any technique of recording an image.

Film has so many possible variables, the stock you choose, some were known to give warm or cool images. Exposure latitude wasn't great and if you got near the limits colour cast and reduced contrast were likely. Faster films were not great for colour accuracy and could have grain the size of sand. Then the development of the film, temperature, time and the chemicals could produce negs of different quality. The print would be something else depending on the paper, time of exposure, filtration used, the chemicals used etc. Images with a predominance of one colour would need the filtration to be tweaked.

The time taken to print and adjust an image in the darkroom (dodge/burn etc) was ages and digital take a fraction of the time. In fact if you find you are making the same adjustments most of the time its possible to have these adjustments applied every time you import an image.

As Lez has said shooting JPEG means post processing is done by the camera.

After all that its OK if you don't PP but for most people its being used to get an image they consider to be a reasonable representation.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I agree with most of what has been said. I'm not against post processing per se, in fact I would say that I'm almost jealous of those that are adept at it. Panoramas for instance is one thing that can only be done properly in post; you can crop, of course but you're going to lose so much. I must say though, I've seen lots if over-processed pictures and those HDR s, if you can tell it's an HDR, then it's been over done! Just my opinion.
      On the subject of film, I mostly used Fujichrome 50 which I thought gave accurate colour balance, Kodachrome (for me) being just a touch warm
      Thanks to all of you that have given me some encouragement, I thought I was the only one,��.
      Last edited by collywobbles; 15-08-2019, 02:04. Reason: Typos

Comment

This is an interesting thread to come back to! I have been one of those that used to post quite a few pictures, but bought into another brand, so couldn't post. I am now back to EOS, so will be back here more often hopefully.
        What I missed about this forum, which has already been touched upon, is the friendliness. I am on several other forums, mainly on Facebook, and there is so much "superiority and snobbery" which I have just never seen here. I joined this forum in 2012 when I bought my first EOS, and I can honestly say, this forum pushed me and encouraged me more than anything to make me a better photographer. I still very much class myself as a hobbyist /enthusiast, and don't really see myself ever being anything else. Being put with my camera makes me happy, and being able to share my pictures, experiences, and also ask questions to a group that have been there before me, is invaluable. Long may this forum go on
        Garry Macdonald on Flickr
        Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

So agree with Garry’s comments, I don’t think I would have improved in the way I have, without the encouragement and knowledge of this forum.
          As for pp don’t get my soapbox out of the cupboard.��

Comment

Late to this particular discussion, but that is probably the point. Some years ago I would have been on here every day and all over it. But now I dip in now and again, mostly it is the Challenge that keeps me here if I'm honest because that gives me a reason to think about a subject, think what I might take and how I might get it, and to push myself out of my ordinary taking pictures of just where I happen to be.
            Since buying my 350D I credit this forum as the single biggest factor in my improvement as a photographer and I thank you all for it. But interestingly, I joined about the same time as my brother in law, we used to share the EOS Mag subscription. One of his first posts he felt got unfairly criticised and he never came back. One of my first posts won a Challenge and I very much stayed. So my point is what keeps people here is the friendliness and positivity.
            For many years I used to comment on people's images most days. I felt this was a really valuable learning experience for me in assessing what I liked about an image, and then tried to apply those principles to my own. I don't do that now, partly simply because my daily routine has changed and I don't have the same spare 10 minute slot I used to have waiting for Mrs R to get ready in the morning. So nothing this forum could have done about that. And now I have got out of the habit but do regularly tell myself I really should make the time. Plus I find I haven't got the camera out as much as I used to; again something I'd like to remedy.
            Thank you for reading my ramblings.
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I enjoyed your ramblings and your comments on my images and those of others. I don’t see that aspect as the forums strength any longer...this forum is primarily about cameras and lenses and how to get the most from them and keeping that in mind gives me a better perspective and expectation. I also like the challenge but lately numbers of entries have fallen and the last has not been concluded despite being closed weeks ago
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Just noticed that at 1658 hrs today there were 1464 users on the site, the most ever! --- That number seems incredible to me.
                Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Well noted Trev....maybe we could encourage more to be active....but at the end of the day if the site is serving its mission...its fine.
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Should have mentioned that 1464 were guest with only a handful of members. Now there are over 900 users, on site with two members and that being 0315 hrs in the UK. There are currently almost 11000 signed up members to the site
                    Seems odd this to me why there are so many guest members looking in all of a sudden. Perhaps Robert can explain.
                    Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Possibly some members don’t login if they are just looking at the forum. I only login if I’m posting something, so I would generally be classed as a guest.

John

Comment

I presume everyone receives a card with an invitation when they buy a camera....I remember having one with my 400D
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

At this moment in time 0750hrs UK time there are 998 users and 8 members, I'm one of the named 8 but I never log in
                          Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                            Just noticed that at 1658 hrs today there were 1464 users on the site, the most ever! --- That number seems incredible to me.
                            I suspect that many of these are spammers, trying to access the Forum. I am currently receiving a lot of spam messages via the 'Contact us' link at the bottom of the page.
                            Robert
                            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Thanks Robert, it just seemed exceedingly high to what it is normally.
                              Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Working...
                              X