Is this forum dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this forum dying?

Theoretically this is a site about photography but increasingly we are seeing less and less images on the site and more about equipment. While discussion of equipment is useful and the advice that people get is great, it would be a shame for the site to loose sight of the end result. I love to see the work of other photographers. It inspires me to try new things.
    Photography is an art not a science yet increasingly we seem to be focused on the science of taking the picture rather than the end result. I am no suggesting that we ignore the importance of good photographic technique or processing skills, but it seems that people are obsessed with pixel counts and gadgets and gizmos.
    Creative photography doesn't require super kit with high technical specifications. Many of my best pictures were taken on film or on early low pixel count digital cameras.
    So lets hope that more members of this forum will show the work that they have created rather than just discussing the equipment.
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Re: Is this forum dying?

Just before I typed this, there were 22 new threads, 19 of which were new photo threads, two lenses for sale and this thread. My anecdotal view seems to contradict your statistic...
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

The problem is that it is a very few members that show pictures. You see the same few names over and over. What can we do to encourage more members to display their work. A recent forum challenge had just 4 entries apparently so these are not the way to do it. I worry because I belonged to another site that went the same way and eventually disappeared altogether.
      Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 10-06-2019, 12:42.
      Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

I do not find it easy to upload photograph's. It must be that I am missing something, but other sites I belong too I can just upload at will, why is it that you can't just upload to the Forum without going through Flickr, seems to me that if this was enabled then more members would feel at ease to put their images on, as I would.

Comment

You can upload direct to the forum. Among the icons above the message area, there is one labelled 'Insert image' (third from the right on my screen, but might vary with your set-up). Click on this icon and follow the instructions.

Many members prefer to use an external link, either to flickr or another website, because the quality of the image is usually better. We limit the image size for direct uploads because the file is stored on our server. This helps to keep our costs down, given the number of images on the forum and the fact that it is a free service.
          Robert
          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Geese over Heybridge.jpg
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Nice shots Clive.
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Alan,

I think that you have a valid point as I have noticed that those that used to post i Landscape, travel, etc have stopped coming around. Their work was outstanding and missed. I think you have a topic worthy of discussion.

Tom

Comment

Forums in general seem to be vanishing, seems facebook and it's off shoots are more popular with younger folk, I post on many from gardening, to fishing to rugby, a lot of them are in decline
                    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

I’d like this forum to be my only forum but it is primarily a Canon Equipment forum and that may actually be its saving grace....that it is a uniquely valuable source of expert information....I don’t know of any other brands that can boast having such a well informed independent facility.
                      I find from a photographic rather than gear viewpoint there are other more well furnished forums covering other genres that are not popular here. Although many threads do offer excellent advice about technique.
                      This site might fall short photographically but it is head and shoulders above any other regarding Canon EOS equipment and how to use it.
                      I’d welcome Robert’s view...as regards mission, purpose, scope etc is his domain.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Very good points have been raised but the thing we must all be thankful for is the quality of the postings (not just images) that this forum receives. Compared with some others I've seen we are a polite, sensible and helpful bunch of people and, for me, it's a joy to be part of the group and long may it keep going.

We cannot judge people for their involvement or otherwise. The number of postings shouldn't matter. If it did I wouldn't be happy having been involved for 10 years and 'only' 300 odd postings - does that reflect my involvement? No.

Alan & Tom have highlighted the fact that few members post the most images and that posters come & go. Both points are inevitable in any group.
                        There is no doubt that our Wildlife photographers produce wonderful images but not everybody is interested in those subjects.
                        80% of my output relates directly to voluntary work for an organisation involved in the promotion of Art and copyright issues can prevent me from posting a lot of those images but I will certainly look to post more images if I can.

Finally, nobody should feel that their images are not good enough for display - we can all learn from others.
                        Rant over!

I
                        Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

As far as posting pictures goes I must admit that I have been a bit quiet on that front for some time now. Some of it's down to not using my Canons as much (I also use Other Brands...), a slump in processing (I seem to take shots and then struggle to find the enthusiasm to do much with them) and a touch of photographers block - a general lack of inspiration...

It's not just this forum that's quieter than it was, the AP forum used to be a real hive of activity but that too seems to be mainly the province of a small hardcore of regulars and Newbies with their typical ranges of questions.
                          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                            I’d welcome Robert’s view...as regards mission, purpose, scope etc is his domain.
                            Not really my domain - I just try to moderate. This mostly involves keeping the spammers at bay. I rarely need to intervene over a post by a member.

The forum was set up to provide a place for photographers to discuss EOS photography by posting images or asking and answering questions about equipment and technique. Forum members determine, within reason, what appears in these threads.
                            Robert
                            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

3L3A7225a.jpg

Old stone house in Edipsos, a spa in Greece
                              EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

Working...
                              X