Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is this forum dying?

3L3A7231.jpg

A fishing boat. Typical sight in the seas of Greece. The day was overcast, and initially the image was bland. I used the "remove haze" button of PS Elements and the image was improved considerably.
    Last edited by Epicuros; 22-06-2019, 07:26.
    EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

3L3A7297.jpg

Street photograph at "Psyri" (near Plaka, in Athens).
      EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

I thought I should contribute to reviving the photo posting part of the Forum, so, I uploaded three recent photos...
        Vasilis

Comment

I joined this excellent forum almost 10 years ago, the members are friendly and helpful, many of who I consider friends.
          I have even met up with a few members which is something I love doing.
          This forum is also free, so thank you Robert.

I have had a few issues over the years, financially and health wise, and the members came to my rescue which I will be eternally grateful.
          I have been without a camera for a while but I'm back with a 7D mkII.
          I have not contributed by posing photos as I have not been out with the camera much. I only went out with the camera 2 or 3 times last year.
          I have been out with the camera twice this year which includes this week's holiday trip to Anglesey. I will hopefully post some photos over the next few days.
          Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
          The problem is that it is a very few members that show pictures. You see the same few names over and over. What can we do to encourage more members to display their work. A recent forum challenge had just 4 entries apparently so these are not the way to do it. I worry because I belonged to another site that went the same way and eventually disappeared altogether.
          We do have a few good members that post photos most days, yes it's the same few names over and over but they inspire me and seeing their excellent photos encourage me to do better.
          I agree that it would be nice to see photos from more members.
          Maybe the forum challenges don't have more entries because of the high standard of photos posted by the more experienced members, so the newcomers just don't bother. Maybe have two competitions including one purely for the newcomers where the topic for the newcomer competition is chosen by Robert and voted on by all the members.
          I don't know how to encourage more new members or the answer to the question "is this forum dying?", but I hope not.
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I used to follow this forum regularly, but must admit I have not been on here for some time, mainly because I have not been very active with my cameras recently due to health problems. I must admit to not having posted many images on here, mostly because I choose not to use Flickr or other platforms, and when I have posted images directly I have been told the image quality is not as good because of this.
            John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

I hope your health problems are improving...it is a bit of an effort going via flickr but I soon got used to copying the BB Code into a thread.....I hope you do post more....I know I should because it keeps the forum going and that's the payment for what we all benefit from time to time when we need technical advise.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I don't post any photos because, wait for it, I do NO processing whatsoever. It all looks very complicated when I've read articles on it. Plus, I don't have a good enough computer ( only a lap-top ) and I don't want to be spending hours messing around with my photos.
                I learnt about photography in the 1970's and in the end was using slide film; you just had to get it right!
                The most I did was use slide film, processed it then printed on Cibachrome. I also (once) used 640 T ( tungsten balanced ) film, uprated it a stop then gave it 30% extra developing time and got a quite good result.
                The OP hit the nail on the head calling it "work" for me it's just a hobby which I occasionally enjoy; if it becomes work I will no longer enjoy it!
                Last edited by collywobbles; 10-08-2019, 15:04.

Comment

I don't think you have to post process to have an interest here....even more reason to share your techniques and experience.
                  I must admit I do post process almost everything I shoot.....but its to get that bit extra out of the image...i.e. raise shadows etc.
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by collywobbles View Post
                    I don't post any photos because, wait for it, I do NO processing whatsoever. It all looks very complicated when I've read articles on it. Plus, I don't have a good enough computer ( only a lap-top ) and I don't want to be spending hours messing around with my photos.
                    I learnt about photography in the 1970's and in the end was using slide film; you just had to get it right!
                    The most I did was use slide film, processed it then printed on Cibachrome. I also (once) used 640 T ( tungsten balanced ) film, uprated it a stop then gave it 30% extra developing time and got a quite good result.
                    The OP hit the nail on the head calling it "work" for me it's just a hobby which I occasionally enjoy; if it becomes work I will no longer enjoy it!
                    Many of the pictures I post never see the door of Phtoshop or Lightroom, I just can't be bothered to mess around with them. If I photograph a bird in the hedge and part of its in the shade - that's what I saw, that's what you get. I think its sad these people that try to make a picture something it never was - its not telling the truth!
                    So, post some pictures, I for one will like them.
                    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I think to process or not depends on subject matter. I don't photograph wildlife but were I to then I'd never take liberties but for those subjects I do shoot I'm trying to create a work of art (pretentious? Moi?) so I use whatever tools I have to hand to make it as good as I can. Others may use those tools differently to achieve a different style while, as we see here, some prefer to stick with the results of whatever in-camera processing an anonymous firmware engineer in Japan decided he liked. I know which I prefer but YMMV.

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

Different people make different choices. I’ve even put an app on my iPhone to shoot raw (dng) and never make a shot available that hasn’t been through LightRoom at least. I know most cameras now have customisations for jpeg output but I’d prefer not to base my results on getting that right before the shot when for a small commitment in time, I can control the output myself by processing the raw file.
                        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                          Many of the pictures I post never see the door of Phtoshop or Lightroom, I just can't be bothered to mess around with them. If I photograph a bird in the hedge and part of its in the shade - that's what I saw, that's what you get. I think its sad these people that try to make a picture something it never was - its not telling the truth!
                          So, post some pictures, I for one will like them.
                          I’m with you on this. I take photos, I don’t make photos. What you see is what i saw. The only thing i do is crop.
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/150977425@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertouran View Post
                            I’m with you on this. I take photos, I don’t make photos. What you see is what i saw. The only thing i do is crop.
                            No, that's not correct; what the camera sees is not what you saw as human eyes have a far greater dynamic range than a camera so for an image to represent what you really saw you need to, as a minimum, raise the shadows and reduce the highlights.

Then there's the need for sharpening. Most digital cameras have anti-aliasing filters the nature of which can lead to fuzziness and the prescribed method of dealing with this is to apply sharpening.

Do those three things and you may end up with something approaching what you actually saw.

Do not do those things and, well, ask yourself... would I hang that picture on my wall?

Cheers,
                            John

Comment

I’ve never had the need to sharpen, raise shadows, reduce highlights , and yes i would gladly hang my pics on my wall.

I’m not saying it’s wrong to do so, just that I don’t.

Cheers
                              Dave
                              Last edited by Silvertouran; 11-08-2019, 21:21.
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/150977425@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertouran View Post
                                I’ve never had the need to sharpen, raise shadows, reduce highlights , and yes i would gladly hang my pics on my wall.

I’m not saying it’s wrong to do so, just that I don’t.

Cheers
                                Dave
                                Do you shoot RAW or Jpeg?

If Jpeg, then the camera has already done some post processing for you. If RAW, then the image does need some processing done on it.
                                Regards
                                Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
                                7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
                                24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Working...
                                X