Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farne Islands Puffins

Hi All,

Just back from a shortened holiday in Northumberland, was lucky in a way in that Sunday and Monday was really good weather which allowed trips to Holy Island across the causeway and a boat trip to the Farne Islands, both being high on my list of things I wanted to do.

Here are some Puffin shots I managed out of the hundreds of OOF shots, they move too fast for an old git like me to lock on!

332 by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

335 by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

351 by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

355 by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

364 by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

369a by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

Paul

Re: Farne Islands Puffins

An excellent series of Puffin shots Paul
    Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Comment

Great set, only time I visited was outside the breeding season, so missed this
      Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Great set Paul, some excellent captures there.

Bill.
        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Lovely set Paul. Farne,s not my No one location, went there once, decided I would never go again
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Great set Paul from a wonderful wildlife destination
            Steve ( LSINWP )
            1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Thanks for looking and the comments Guys, much appreciated

Paul

Comment

My favourite location for puffins, 3 is my pick with the mouthful of sand eels

Did you do the whole day visiting Staple and Inner Farne, or just the 1 hour? We have only managed to get onto Staple once which we found to be by far the best but often, as happened last year, landings were not possible and we had to make do with two half days to Inner Farne, but an hour on the island is really not enough to do it justice

Holy Island is a great place too
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan,
                  It was my first time and didn't know what to expect, took too much gear, big mistake having to lug about a heavy rucksack, I chose the first sailing which is Staple and the one hour, sadly though by the time you have landed the Sun is right overhead and harsh, so I had trouble with that, I think if I went again I would try Inner Farne on the last sailing of the day. As said, Puffins are a bit too fast for me and I have hundreds of OOF shots, I really struggled to catch them. Not sure I could manage the whole day trip with 2 hours on each, I was knackered after the one hour Staple trip!!

I will post a few more later

Paul

Comment

I'm getting all excited seeing your excellent flight shots.

I am at Bempton Cliffs next week and Farne Islands the week after. Unfortunately, the weather forecast is overcast and dull, but I am hoping for some improvement.
                    Colin

Comment

Great set Paul.
                      Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Nice set of shots, I particularly like 4 and 5.
                        I've been to the Farnes on three occasions, always the Inner Farnes, and it's great for photographing the birds. Unfortunately it does seem to attract people, some with selfie sticks and some with big lenses, who seem to have little interest in the birds and just want to get their shots, stepping over barriers and getting far too close. It's a bit like the puffin version of Richmond Park.

John

Comment

Thanks again Guys, much appreciated, good luck with the weather Colin

Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X