Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stump

Hello all,

Although I have been a member for a while, this is my first attachment/post.
    I am just starting to get back into B&W, digitally. I was primarily making B&W images on film, for many years.
    Loving the challenge.

ice stump.jpg

Canon 40D, ISO200, f11, 1/80sec

Any c&c welcomed.

Sam

Re: stump

Sam, I have looked at this a couple of times and yes I like it....but.....and this is where I come "unstuck" so here goes with my thoughts on why I have a "but" in my reply....
    The white sand has lost any "character" an just looks white and a bit flat
    The bit of grass coming from the stump appears to be very soft and "competes" with the OOF background and yet it is part of the stump which is the object of this image.
    The stump is very dark in places where I think there may be some texture of the wood which could be enhanced.

I do not want to sound negative as I like what you have tried to do here, it is just these "niggles" for me anyway.

David

EDIT:
    oops, have just looked at this again and realised it is ice and not sand.....doh!!!! and ,aybe this is what is causing my "niggles", maybe a bit more oomph to the ice is needed.
    Last edited by djguk47; 04-01-2011, 16:13.
    David

Comment

Hello and welcome Sam

I suspect the caption at the bottom right of the shot "Ice Stump JPG" gave David the clue.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
        Hello and welcome Sam

I suspect the caption at the bottom right of the shot "Ice Stump JPG" gave David the clue.

Colin
        I suspect that you are correct....

David
        David

Comment

Thanks for the niggles, David.

The original RAW, file looks good, even the dark areas have detail, and Ithink that compression to jpeg, may have muddied the darks, to appear to have lost detail.

You are correct about the snow needing more "texture", but that is how it looked when I made the photo, at almost midday, with little shadow detail anywhere on the snow covered pond.

The plant coming out of he stump, is kind of a token sign, of life from death, that I have used in alot of my previous photos on film, and has carried with me into digital, knowing that I can retouch it if I really had to. I don't like to, but I know that I can. as for it being out of focus, I can blame a breeze, but I know in this case it was my fault, for not using a smaller aperature.

As a side note, I have enjoyed both yours and Colin photography.

sam
          Last edited by sam mendolia; 17-01-2011, 03:29. Reason: darn speeling

Comment

Sam,
            Thanks for the "explanations" and it makes sense now as to why the grass from the stump. A number of images on this theme would make an interesting set.

Also thanks for the compliments about my photography which has improved so much since joining this forum which up until then was just holiday snap type "stuff"

David
            David

Comment

Working...
            X