Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liberator details

No more after these three - I promise.

This is one of the 4 Pratt & Whitney 14-cylinder radial engines - 1200 BHP @ 2700 rpm - mechanical supercharger supplemented with an exhaust turbo. I can remember my father telling me that when you went through the gate on the throttle assembly to the Boost position, the fuel system threw a pint of petrol into each engine in one lump.

R-1830-65 Wasp by John Liddle, on Flickr

The view from the mid section towards the tail gunner's position. The horizontal rail-like structures on the LHS are the ammunition feed guides for the rear turret guns. If you look carefully, you can see the steel cables which run right through the aircraft to the control surfaces - the original fly-by-wire! We were warned not to grab any of those, because if we did, WE would be flying the aircraft and this might not be a good idea. The yellow cylinders are the oxygen tanks and the black bucket is the loo.

Towards the tail by John Liddle, on Flickr

Here you can see the walkway through the bomb bay. SWMBO has just managed to get through (ample-sized Americans might have some difficulty). The ropes you see at waist height are to steady you as you pass through. We were warned not to fall off the walkway onto the bomb doors, since these will only withstand 100 lbs weight (so you can jettison the bombs through them if they won't open) and if you did fall, you would be back on the ground before everyone else.

Through the bomb bay by John Liddle, on Flickr

How people managed to fly 18-hour missions in these planes is beyond me.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Liberator details

Nice set John

Tom

Comment

2nd for me, a masterclass in controlling light
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
        2nd for me, a masterclass in controlling light
        Ah, well, umm.... I have to confess that it is a 3-shot HDR
        John Liddle

Comment

Interesting set John

Paul

Comment

Excellent set
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
              Ah, well, umm.... I have to confess that it is a 3-shot HDR
              It does not matter how you reached the end result, the thought process that went on in the decision of taking multiple images then the working on them in software resulted in a masterclass image that is in my eyes of museum quality
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks to all who have looked and commented, and in particular to TonyT for his kind and encouraging words.
                John Liddle

Comment

Working...
                X