Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6D Mkll focusing

Hi guys,

Just a question about the focusing sensor on the 6D Mkll. When using the viewfinder the focusing is done using phase detection using the separate focusing screen, dual points etc. If I switch to Live View and focus by touching the screen, a couple of questions:-

1. How exactly does this focusing work?
    2. How does it compare with the focusing using the focusing screen?

Regards

Charles

Re: 6D Mkll focusing

Your 6D Mk II has dual pixel technology on the sensor. This allows the main sensor to achieve focusing using phase detection. This technology was introduced some time back an means that focusing in live view is fast and accurate. Previously, focusing in live view was achieved using contrast detect which is nowhere near as fast or accurate. Effectively, you have thousands of focusing points and by touching the screen in the area you want focus, the cameras procesor can use that area to achieve fast accurate focus and then maintain it.
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Cheers Alan,

That sounds good, I did notice the focus tracking was really good when tracking a moving object, such as a bowler at a cricket match using a 100-400L lens. I would mainly use live view for landscapes etc. where you may have the camera in a low position and it's difficult to use the viewfinder. The articulated screen is invaluable in this situation. Thanks once again.

Comment

If I may add.

Phase detect is considered less accurate than contrast for stationary subjects - for moving it's just not worth bothering with it. You may also find your focus accuracy is better in live-view as on-sensor AF detectors are measuring to the plane of the sensor so are potentially more accurate than those in use when using the viewfinder where there is a different path for measuring focus and taking the shot itself. MFA (MicroFocus Adjust) can help with this.
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Working...
        X