EOS 250D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 250D

In the latest issue of EOS magazine, I read that 250D has a hot shoe incompatible with third party flash units and studio flash connection. Although I own a 5D MK IV I had thoughts of a second, lightweight camera and 250D seemed like a good option; not any more! I strongly resent Canon's decision to prevent use of third party flash and studio flash. I could understand the decision about the first, although I resent it, but why studio flash which cannot be considered a compatitive product? I have made very nice photos using studio flash and would not buy a camera that intentionally prevents this option. What is next, third-party lens incompantible mounts?
    EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Re: EOS 250D

I totally agree. The 250 would have been one of the cameras that I would have been recommending to my students. With this limitation I certainly won't. The flexibility to use both third party lights and triggers and studio flash is an essential as many people cannot afford the extortionate price of Canon units. Bad show Canon. This coupled with other changes tha Canon have made is making me look very seriously at a complete change of system. Canon should remember that there are plenty of excellent alternatives out there who would love to steal their crown.
    Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 04-08-2019, 21:44.
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

I find it perplexing that Canon would want to have more than one type of hot shoe in their manufacturing inventory....that does not make sense …..and surely Canon don't expect you to buy their flash units which cost as much as the camera.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

It is a pity that we do not get any kind of feedback or comments from Canon on bonafide criticism, particularly as this forum's owner is sort of semi-officially supported by Canon UK. The purpose of public critiscism is to drive the point home (Canon in this instance) and not to stir members' feelings about a product.
        EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

Looking through the other end of the telescope, why SHOULD Canon make their gear compatible with that of other manufacturers?

There is a finite and potentially shrinking market so why should any manufacturer risk losing part of their share of it?
          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

i am sure Canon's marketing staff are a lot more knowledgeable than I am, but, at first glance, Canon has already lost several sales of their 250D from within this forum (myself and, possibly, some of Alan's students). My experience tells me that reducing compatibility does not attract customers. The shrinking market is a reallity but managing it the wrong way may generate even more shrinkage!
            Vasilis

Comment

Originally posted by Epicuros View Post
              i am sure Canon's marketing staff are a lot more knowledgeable than I am, but, at first glance, Canon has already lost several sales of their 250D from within this forum (myself and, possibly, some of Alan's students). My experience tells me that reducing compatibility does not attract customers. The shrinking market is a reallity but managing it the wrong way may generate even more shrinkage!
              Vasilis
              Indeed. Surely it’s better to sell a camera to someone that will then use it with a third party flash rather than not sell it at all?
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

The loss of the central contact is fundamental as without it you cannot trigger studio flash units using radio triggers further as the camera also has no PC socket you cannot even use a cable to trigger studio flash. The X contact and the PC connection have been an industry wide standard for many years, in fact for as long as I have been using SLRs (that's since 1968). What will Canon decide to change next?
                Canon do not make studio flash units so removing the contact has no effect on their sales as most of the non Canon flash units are compatible with Canon ETTL. Studio units are dumb units in the main and not compatible with ETTL and are triggered via either a hot shoe X contact trigger or a PC socket connected lead. This change limits the usability of the camera and is typical of the sort of high handed disregard which large corporations show toward their customers.
                Very bad show Canon, This sort of behavior will test my loyalty to the brand after 40 years.
                Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 03-08-2019, 23:07.
                Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

Comment

GREED!
                  Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Just had a thought; get the off shoe flash thingy ( about £50odd ) or you might be able to get an independent make. I know this is still extra expense but still cheaper than the hundreds difference of buying a Canon flash.

Comment

I don't know about the 250, but the grip for the R has a PC port, but, the R also has a centre contact for third party flash. The RP on the other hand does not, which is one of the reasons I went for the R over its cheaper brother.
                      Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                      Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                        I don't know about the 250, but the grip for the R has a PC port, but, the R also has a centre contact for third party flash. The RP on the other hand does not, which is one of the reasons I went for the R over its cheaper brother.
                        The hot-shoe of the EOS RP does have a central flash contact.
                        Robert
                        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Apologies, my mistake ��
                          I was told by a canon rep at aWEX open day that Canon were going down the route of trying to limit 3rd party products, and this, along with firmware to recognise batteries and grips was a step in that direction. He didn't have an RP to show me at the time!
                          Last edited by digiman; 15-08-2019, 09:38.
                          Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                          Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

The TTL trigger will not make any difference as it will pass through TTL info but still won't activate the centre contact. I know because I tried it with a students camera. They got rid of the camera and bought a Nikon.
                            Alan

Comment

Working...
                            X