Hi from Andy Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from Andy Light

Hi I'm a new member and trying to get my way around my 7D Mk 11.

The meta data on my saved images shows hor and vertical resolution as 72 DPI how can I increase this?
    and is there any gain in doing so?
    thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Hi from Andy Light

Welcome Andy....I’m sure someone here will answer....have you had a look at the camera section of the forum.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Welcome Andy - I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but I expect there is someone on the forum who can!

As an aside - your Light family wouldn't hail from Shropshire by any chance would they?
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Light View Post
        Hi I'm a new member and trying to get my way around my 7D Mk 11.

The meta data on my saved images shows hor and vertical resolution as 72 DPI how can I increase this?
        and is there any gain in doing so?
        thanks in advance for any advice.
        Hi Andy,

Firstly welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure if I understand your issue regarding the "saved" images that you've described.

How are you saving the images?
        What software are you using to save the images?
        What do you want to do with the saved images?
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Hi John.
          My family are from the Wye Valley and South Wales. so not quite Shropshire but not far away!
          Best Regards
          Andy

Comment

Hi Peter.
            Firstly my apologies if you receive two replies as I think I pressed the wrong button for my reply.

When Viewing the images at the U3A photo club if I right click the image on properties the Meta data shows my files as horizontal and vertical resolution 72 DPI
            most of the other members show 300 DPI. I save my photos in a folder in my Docs and I'm using Windows 7. it doesn't seem to be something that can be changed in the camera,
            Any advice would be much appreciated.
            Best Regards
            Andy

Comment

72PPI (not DPI) is the default resolution for monitors, I suspect the output specifications of the camera are set to this to ensure that the image displays correctly on any monitor without issue. As far as I know it can't be changed in camera.

It can be changed in post processing though. Photoshop, and other editing applications, allow you to adjust the image size and one of the size adjustment options is the ability to change the PPI setting. PPI indicates the number of pixels that will be printed per linear inch of paper - the higher the PPI value the smaller the print. The typical setting for printing is 300PPI (hence the values you've seen) as this gives a good quality smooth print.

PPI should not be confused with DPI which controls how many dots of ink the printer will lay down per linear inch during printing and is independent of the PPI setting.
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

welcome aboard :0
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                X