Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery issue - maybe

Hi

After quite a long time not using my EOS 7D I took it out the bag last night to restart my interest, charge the batteries and update the firmware whist I was at it and noticed an issue..

I have two batteries, a genuine Cannon and a Hahnel...

The Canon is now charged to 100% but shows recharge performance in the battery menu in red, one red dot, even though it has had little use...

The Hahnel battery is now 100% and shows 3 green dots.. Is the Canon battery at the end of its life or does it need to be discharged fully/recharged due to lack of use?

Stuart
    Stuart Tunstall
    York - UK

- Canon EOS 7D - Tamron 18 - 270mm f3.5 - 6.3 Di II VC - Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - Canon Speedlight 580EX II - Canon Timer Remote Control TC 80N3 - Giottos GTMTL9361B with MH5001 Head - Lowpro 300AW Backpack - Photoshop CC - Lightroom CC - Aurora HDR 2018 - Photolemur 3 - Plus a few other bits -

Re: Battery issue - maybe

does it need to be discharged fully/recharged
    I think you have the right idea there Stuart, but I would be prepared to go through the procedure two or three times before I gave up on it.
    Colin

Comment

Thank you Colin

As I said it has been a while since I used the camera, although I did recharge it every now and again to keep it fully charged so maybe it does just need to discharge fully and recharge a few times... Can't see it would be at the end of life only done about 500/1000 shots in it's life

Must use it more now... lol

Stuart
      Stuart Tunstall
      York - UK

- Canon EOS 7D - Tamron 18 - 270mm f3.5 - 6.3 Di II VC - Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - Canon Speedlight 580EX II - Canon Timer Remote Control TC 80N3 - Giottos GTMTL9361B with MH5001 Head - Lowpro 300AW Backpack - Photoshop CC - Lightroom CC - Aurora HDR 2018 - Photolemur 3 - Plus a few other bits -

Comment

Lithium Ion batteries don't benefit from deep discharge and recharge. If you intend to store Li ion batteries for a period of time, do not store them fully charged as this causes oxidation which reduces their life. They are best stored at 40 - 60 % charged and kept in a cool place. What a deep discharge will do is reset the power/performance metering. Be careful as if you fully discharge a battery it may fail completely.
        I charge my batteries before a shoot and then after a number of shoots I skip recharging them for a couple of shoots to take them down to approx 20% before recharging them. I have batteries that are 5 years old and still performing well.
        This advice was given to me by an electronics engineer who regularly worked Li Ion batteries.
        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
          Lithium Ion batteries don't benefit from deep discharge and recharge. If you intend to store Li ion batteries for a period of time, do not store them fully charged as this causes oxidation which reduces their life. They are best stored at 40 - 60 % charged and kept in a cool place. What a deep discharge will do is reset the power/performance metering. Be careful as if you fully discharge a battery it may fail completely.
          I charge my batteries before a shoot and then after a number of shoots I skip recharging them for a couple of shoots to take them down to approx 20% before recharging them. I have batteries that are 5 years old and still performing well.
          This advice was given to me by an electronics engineer who regularly worked Li Ion batteries.
          Thank you for the advice, I will let it run down now to about 20% then recharge and see if things improve.. both batteries are the same age, so I suppose about 7/8 years old now as I purchased the camera about that time new ...
          Stuart Tunstall
          York - UK

Comment

Stuart - a bit more food for thought possibly:-

Canon's LP-E6 batteries are used in all sorts of devices, from the Canon 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, and 7D cameras, to external monitors like those from SmallHD -- and even in other accessories used to power filmmaking gear. If you happen to own or use Genuine and Third Party LP-E6s, and you've had issues charging them in the Canon LC-E6 charger, the company has just issued a product advisory. Click through for the symptoms and how you can fix the issue with your batteries.
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thank you... the battery seemed to charge OK and even showed 100% in the camera, just the "recharge performance" showed one red dot rather than 3 green like the Hahnel battery does :)
              Stuart Tunstall
              York - UK

Comment

Hahnel batteries do not give accurate information. I have had two of them and they continued to to show 3 green when clearly their performance had dropped. Conversely all my LP E6N batteries show poor recharge performance despite returning perfect performance in camera and the fact that two of them are under a year old.
                Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
                  Be careful as if you fully discharge a battery it may fail completely.
                  That's interesting; last weekend I recharged the batteries from the grip on my 40D which had gone dead completely having not been used for some time. One battery charged up fine but the other looks to be dead as the proverbial dodo as it appears to be full according to the charger but will not power up the camera at all.

Seems like the advice to store cameras with out the battery is good advice after all...
                  Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                  X