Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 National Space Centre Leicester rocket tower. - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Space Centre Leicester rocket tower.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Space Centre Leicester rocket tower.

I finally decided to visit the National Space Centre in my home city of Leicester on Monday.

I can now see why they say it's pitched at 10-14 year olds,with lots of interactive press-buttons type things to keep that generation occupied.It's perfect for families too.

But the lifts up to the rocket tower were great.It's 42 metres high and though I've passed it many times,it was worth exploring.
    IMG_0082 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    IMG_0073 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    Blue Streak rocket on the left,and Thor on the right.Thank goodness I had my 10-18mm with me!
    Last edited by Guest; 31-07-2019, 16:29.

Re: National Space Centre Leicester rocket tower.

Nice one Roy, been myself a couple of times, when they were developing the Blue Streak at Spadesdam I used to watch them firing the engines as a 6 or 7 year old from the playing ground at school, even though Spadeadam was miles away up on the fells, we could make out the smoke rising and hear and feel the rockets motors running through the ground.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Cheers Tony,and some great info on the rocket too!

I see in the base of the tower there were several sets of climbing/ abseiling kit hung on the walls,presumably for the maintenance/cleaning crew.IMG_0107 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

In the early 1960s Raleigh Cycles brought out a smart looking model called'Blue Streak',I know because a mate of mine had one and I rode it a couple of times.

PS,clear some space in your PM inbox lol.
      Last edited by Guest; 31-07-2019, 23:49.

Comment

Great shots, and very interesting [emoji106]

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you,much appreciated.I may go back there at some point.

Comment

An interesting set Roy - another place to put on the "must go" list!
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks John,there are plenty of carparks there,£3 all day.

Comment

Nice set Roy.
                Fairly local to me but only visited this year.
                I agree with your comments about age groups - went with 2 young grandsons who enjoyed the experience having both recently been learning about the first Moon Landing. I found some of the space hardware very interesting and the opportunity for some fairly different photos. Alas I cannot show mine on the Forum as they were taken with a Canon Camera -
                Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Thanks Bob,it's appreciated.

Did you find the layout of the place slightly confusing,with apparently no logical route marked out?Several times I ended up back where I started!I know they offer small maps at reception,but I don't think it would have helped much,having seen them.

I found my best shots were in the rocket tower,with all that lovely natural light up there.

Comment

I agree that it could be confusing but I was with 2 little boys who dash all over the place at the best of times.

In my post I should have said that I can’t show my images as they were NOT taken with a Canon camera !
                    Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Originally posted by bobowen View Post
                      I agree that it could be confusing but I was with 2 little boys who dash all over the place at the best of times.

In my post I should have said that I can’t show my images as they were NOT taken with a Canon camera !
                      I knew what you meant Bob

Comment

There is also the pumping station next door not ot be missed....

This year we celebrate 51 years of events at the museum. To be a part of this, please click the Event button at the bottom of the page and see what exciting eve

NH I have cleared some space.

BTW They have a British 1940 space race thing on at the moment I believe?
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

NH seen this???/

Comment

I was at a pumping station event recently,and I'm going again for their narrow guage railway day tomorrow.

It's unlikely that I'll be going to the space centre again,not enough there for me to justify the cost.I know I could have got a 12 month pass but didn't bother.

I've sent you a PM

Comment

Working...
                            X