Where have they gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where have they gone?

We have swallows here every year. The numbers have reduced over recent years and this year, only one pair nested.

Up to last Saturday, we were watching the adults zooming in and out of the window on the old stables and listening to the youngsters shouting "Me, Me" when the food appeared. We expected the youngsters to emerge any day now and start perching on suitable vantage points for the parents to complete the feeding cycle.

However, yesterday and today, no swallows - zilch, nada, nowt, nothing. Absolutely no sign of them. If the young have fledged, we cannot guess where they have gone. I have looked in the stables and no sign of anything.

It is far too early in the year for them to have pottered back to South Africa (they normally leave in September) unless, of course, they know something about forthcoming weather that we don't - in which case I am a little apprehensive!

A puzzle!
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Where have they gone?

Could something have taken the young ones ?
    I’ve noticed a reduction in the numbers of house martins around here can’t understand why though. Their usual nesting sites are still there but not occupied!

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Same here John, not had a single pair nesting this year, where other years we get four five nest. Was down by the river the other evening where you can normally see dozens flying up and down for the insects - you could count them on one hand the other night. STRANGE!
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Hi John
        I haven't seen a swallow for a while, but here in sunny South Africa the Yellow Weavers have been busy building nests in my garden throughout the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by pietdupreez View Post
          Hi John
          I haven't seen a swallow for a while, but here in sunny South Africa the Yellow Weavers have been busy building nests in my garden throughout the winter.
          Put some pictures up I love those those birds
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
            Could something have taken the young ones ?
            It is a possibility - but I would have expected to continue to see the adults zooming around, although I suppose they might have just given up and migrated early.
            Last edited by John Liddle; 06-08-2019, 09:24. Reason: speeling
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
            X