The Shard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shard...

I've hardly been home for a the past few weeks and my latest trip was to take my youngest grandson to London as he wanted to go up The Shard.

Quite an experience from the airport-style check-in and security x-ray and magnetic scanners to the speed of the lifts and, of course, the view. Photographing the view is far from straightforward due to the glass and the hordes of people hogging the windows making it difficult to get close enough to avoid reflections.

Not that much taller than St George The Martyr:
    5D3_1032 by John Leah, on Flickr

Checking in:
    5D3_0936 by John Leah, on Flickr

Happy hour here means you only need one lottery win to buy a round:
    5D3_0951 by John Leah, on Flickr

Very busy and with lots of inconsiderate people camped out at the windows thereby preventing other from getting close while seemingly doing anything but enjoy the view themselves:
    5D3_0981-2 by John Leah, on Flickr

How much was that ice-cream?
    5D3_0987-2 by John Leah, on Flickr

Looking up from the 72nd floor:
    5D3_0984-Edit-2 by John Leah, on Flickr

The reason people go:
    5D3_0937-Edit-2 by John Leah, on Flickr

Lots of other pics of the view, etc. on Flickr.

Cheers,
    John

PS the ice-cream was £4.75

Re: The Shard...

Great and varied set
    Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

What a great set John - Lucky grandson The Shard and a four and half quid ice cream good old granddad -- cheaper than the pint of lager I had in the West End a few weeks back - £7.20.
      Just love the last picture
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Wow......what a great set....all very well composed and processed....some of the best I've seen from the Shard.
        The mono is very dramatic with a really good angle.

generally I share your frustration.....seems that people don't think of anyone else and are oblivious to their hogging space in this instance. People really are in a 'me bubble' all too frequently.....you see it on the roads, being noisy in hotels.....its everywhere. Our challenge is to not allow it to get to us!
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Good set that, the last one really says what the visit was about.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks folks

We'd been forewarned about prices by a friend who was there a couple of weeks ago and was charged £8 for a bottle of beer. While we were there I overheard a member of staff express dissatisfaction to a colleague that she'd just ad to charge £40 for two glasses of Sauvignon Blanc. But it is what it is and we all know about 'rip-off Britain' with London being the worst so hardly surprising such a premier attraction hikes the prices.

Due to the difficult access to the windows most of my shots were spoiled by reflections so I have few 'view' shots to share but will post one or two later.

Cheers,
            John

Comment

Great set John.

Bill.
              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks Bill

Cheers,
                John

Comment

The mono shot is the winner John, probably worth the price of the ice cream!

An interesting set of good images despite the frustrations caused by the ignorant proles - mind you, what do you expect from London?

Give me the West Country any day.
                  John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                  X