Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 One Shot or AI servo? - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Shot or AI servo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Shot or AI servo?

I'm going to Brighton on a day trip very soon,and want to get shots of those brave souls descending on the zip wire.My idea is to stand facing the wire close to where they land, so they're coming toward me,although I may need to be side-on to them or even stand with the wires behind me.I won't know the best position until I'm there though.

The question please is;Do I use One Shot and rely on a fast shutter speed to capture them,or do I need AI Servo to track them in 'flight' before pressing the shutter button?My panning technique is ok if I need to be side-on.

I really don't 'do' heights,so my feet will be firmly planted at ground level!

Thanks in advance.

Re: One Shot or AI servo?

I'd try back button focus with servo

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks,but I've never used it before and don't want to be trying out something new on the day,if that makes sense?

It's a one-off situation re visiting Brighton,and just for four hours.I'll be getting plenty of other shots around the place,but the zip wire is the one for action shots.

Comment

I'd stick with ai servo, a few test shots when you are there, will confirm which is better

Comment

Originally posted by supergeeman View Post
          I'd stick with ai servo, a few test shots when you are there, will confirm which is better

Good idea,I'll go with that,thanks.

Comment

Yes I agree AI servo, keep the button pressed half way and track the subject then finally press to get the shot.....or use one shot and prefocus on an anticipated position and use a high shutter speed.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian,looks like AI servo is the way to go for shots of those brave people on the zip wire,but I'll try to use a combination of both methods to see which gives the best results.

Speed somewhere around 1/400th?
              Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2019, 22:36.

Comment

Roy - the Brighton zip wire is 300m long and the ride takes about 30 seconds. Average speed is therefore about 10m/s, or about 32 feet per second. At 1/400th, they would travel 32/400 feet along the wire, which is 0.96 inches. If you are side on and panning, the speed should not matter. If you are more or less head on (and thus likely to be a few tens of feet from them) unless you have a lens where the aperture can be set incredibly wide open, the depth of field should probably cope with it. Towards the end of the ride, because the wire hangs in a catenary, they will be travelling almost horizontally and so vertical movement should not be a worry either.

Despite all that meandering, try a few and see what works!
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Roy,
                  Hope all goes well.
                  When you have the time I would recommend Back Button Focus. Once you've mastered it, there's no going back!
                  Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                    Roy - the Brighton zip wire is 300m long and the ride takes about 30 seconds. Average speed is therefore about 10m/s, or about 32 feet per second. At 1/400th, they would travel 32/400 feet along the wire, which is 0.96 inches. If you are side on and panning, the speed should not matter. If you are more or less head on (and thus likely to be a few tens of feet from them) unless you have a lens where the aperture can be set incredibly wide open, the depth of field should probably cope with it. Towards the end of the ride, because the wire hangs in a catenary, they will be travelling almost horizontally and so vertical movement should not be a worry either.

Despite all that meandering, try a few and see what works!
                    That's great info thanks John! I'll probably go for side on panning shots,but will spend some time just watching it all first,and then decide on my best position.I like the idea of them being almost horizontal towards the end.

I've looked on Streetview and have a general idea now of the layout.

Comment

Originally posted by bobowen View Post
                      Roy,
                      Hope all goes well.
                      When you have the time I would recommend Back Button Focus. Once you've mastered it, there's no going back!
                      Thanks Bob,and I'll give it a try when I can.

Comment

Whenever I have done anything similar, I have used servo and multishot of my grand daughter coming towards me down a slide and managed 5or 6 shots all in focus, using centre spot focus.

Comment

Originally posted by collywobbles View Post
                          Whenever I have done anything similar, I have used servo and multishot of my grand daughter coming towards me down a slide and managed 5or 6 shots all in focus, using centre spot focus.
                          Thanks,I won't be using multishot though,I can only get just over 3 fps,the quality isn't good enough and just fills the card up with shots I won't use.

I'll experiment on the day but no doubt will stick with multi-segment focus,which normally gives me good results with most shots.

I've got just four hours to get shots of so many places there,so won't spend too much time at the zip wire location.

Comment

Enjoy Brighton, I've already booked for a week next summer! It will be my third time. Don't forget the B.A. Tower. I went up it last year.

Comment

Working...
                            X