5DMKIV focussing screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5DMKIV focussing screen

I'm thinking about changing the focussing screen to improve manual focussing....has anyone any advice or experience of this?
    Thanks...
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: 5DMKIV focussing screen

Did it on a 40D some time ago.
    Easy to do with the gripper tool provided with the new screen.
    Just keep everything away from the mirror!
    Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Thanks Bob....I've struggled to find any info on the internet.....I'm thinking that its not actually interchangeable on the 5DMkIV.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Brian - this page gives some detail, but despite being dated Feb 2018, makes no mention of the 5DIII or 5DIV.

John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

The focusing screen of the EOS 5D Mark IV is fixed - that is, non-interchangeable. See page 575 of the camera's instruction manual.
          Robert
          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
            The focusing screen of the EOS 5D Mark IV is fixed - that is, non-interchangeable. See page 575 of the camera's instruction manual.
            Well, who'd have thought of looking there!

Thank you Robert - I see the same applies to the MkIII, but the good old 40D has a choice of 2 screens.

Do you have any insight as to why the MkIII and MkIV have fixed screens?
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

They probably didn't sell well as they really offered very little. I tried different screens on 5D2 and was disappointed.
              Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Thanks for that Robert...it is indeed in the specification on p575 as you say .....but as it does not appear in the index I assumed the information wasn't there....that threw John as well...

Its a shame because I find it difficult to focus using the 50mmf1.2 and 24mm f1.4 as the details are often some distance away and small in the viewfinder.....I was fine with a split screen and prism on the Praktica MTL3 I had in 1979....but struggle with one of the top modern cameras from Canon.....I guess its no problem with the R and RP which probably allow for magnified images in the viewfinder and focus peaking......tempting!
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                  Thanks for that Robert...it is indeed in the specification on p575 as you say .....but as it does not appear in the index I assumed the information wasn't there....that threw John as well...

Its a shame because I find it difficult to focus using the 50mmf1.2 and 24mm f1.4 as the details are often some distance away and small in the viewfinder.....I was fine with a split screen and prism on the Praktica MTL3 I had in 1979....but struggle with one of the top modern cameras from Canon.....I guess its no problem with the R and RP which probably allow for magnified images in the viewfinder and focus peaking......tempting!
                  Is live view not an option. Not a feature I use myself but IIRC you can enlarge part of the frame.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Well yes it would be for macro etc....but I was thinking of fast primes and street photography ....at f1.2 or f1.4.....even with the micro adjustment set its still easy to miss.
                    I may be expecting too much from manual with such narrow dof anyway.....but it would be good to not have to move focus points around or use the centre point and then recompose....a simple twist of the lens ring might be more intuitive.

Maybe EVF is the answer...…………….
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

As mentioned before I did change my 40D screen but I've never been tempted with my 6D.
                      Something to be said for only having 11 focusing points - at least I know where I'm looking
                      Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                        Well yes it would be for macro etc....but I was thinking of fast primes and street photography ....at f1.2 or f1.4.....even with the micro adjustment set its still easy to miss.
                        I may be expecting too much from manual with such narrow dof anyway.....but it would be good to not have to move focus points around or use the centre point and then recompose....a simple twist of the lens ring might be more intuitive.

Maybe EVF is the answer...…………….
                        Don't you have touch focus with the screen, so that you can touch the part of the image on the screen you want to focus on?
                        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                          Don't you have touch focus with the screen, so that you can touch the part of the image on the screen you want to focus on?
                          Yes if using live view....but that’s no use for using the viewfinder.....I never use the 5D4 with live view unless on a tripod.
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                          X