EOS magazine advert
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EOS 5D MK3 underexposing by 1 or 2 stops - anybody else finding this?

Default EOS 5D MK3 underexposing by 1 or 2 stops - anybody else finding this?

Had a Canon EOS 5D MK3 for a few months now, bought it used with really low shutter count (8K) but I'm finding about half the time the camera underexposes between 1 and 2 stops, regardless of the mode, or metering mode. If I'm in Aperture Priority, or Shutter Priority it underexposes no matter what metering mode I use, be it: evaluative, spot, centre weighted. Same in full manual mode too: I set the exposure based on the cameras metering modes.

In the studio with strobes and a flash meter it is spot on, but I'm in full manual mode and using a flash meter for readings.

Is there an in-camera setting (perhaps a factory default setting) that needs to be changed to prevent this? Anybody else finding this?

Like I said, only does it about half the time.

Default Re: EOS 5D MK3 underexposing by 1 or 2 stops - anybody else finding this?

That's a difficult one....as its only half the time.

Have you flicked through the info screens to check there is no underexposure set......I expect you have checked that

Is it always the same lens....is the lens failing to close the aperture down.....what does it look like on 'live view' with exposure preview enabled?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Default Re: EOS 5D MK3 underexposing by 1 or 2 stops - anybody else finding this?

Thanks brainvickers. Yes, checked their is no exposure-compensation set. Two different lenses, 24-70 f2.8 L and 70-200 f2.8 L. I suppose if the aperture was failing to close down it would be over-exposed, not under like I'm getting. This would suggest the aperture blades are stuck in a closed down position, which they are not. I will check the 'live view' mode. How do I assure 'exposure preview' is turned on in live view?

Just checked Live View with 'exposure preview' and it looks a stop under exposed there too.

Ok, more information. Putting it on your tripod and pointing it at a neutral reference scene I put camera in AV mode and set aperture to f8 and noted the shutter speed suggested when half-pressing your shutter button.

Then switched to M, sticking with f8 and noted the shutter speed that I needed to get the meter to read bang in the middle.

Following the above instructions in AP at F8 the shutter speed was 0.6 seconds and in manual, to get pointer to centre (correct exposure) it was 13th of a second. In manual mode I have to dial it 3 stops over-exposed to get 0.6 seconds. This does not make sense.

I wonder if you have discovered why the camera was available used?
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Member*

Hi, I have a 5d3 that I bought about 18 months ago, used from Clifton Cameras. It underexposed by about 2/3 -1 stop. I spoke to C C who asked me to return it and they returned to Canon for me under the warranty (good service frim CC). Canon checked it out and said all was ok. I still have the camera, a great camera, and now simply add 2/3 stop when shooting using Ex comp. I know this doesn’t rectify the problem but it is an easy workaround that becomes second nature. Just my two penny worth

Guy

It looks like a fault to me but I'm no expert....you could try asking Technical Advice Service at the magazine via the Contact tab on the main web site...

mailto:advice@eos-magazine.com?Subject=Technical%20advice%20request% 20via%20eos-magazine.com
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Member*

Hmm, I have a 5D3 and this isn't something I have experienced. I'll have a play over next few days and see if I can reproduce the issue.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

CambsCreative - does the effect show itself both when the camera is on a tripod and when hand held?

I ask because, when not hand held, the viewfinder eyepiece should be covered with the little rubbery plastic thingy that comes on the camera strap, in order to prevent stay light entering the camera and upsetting the metering (See p. 187 of the MkIII manual). This says images will come out dark if you don't do this, but it is not necessary in live view mode.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast