Alternative idea...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative idea...

Would it be better if one of us volunteered to coordinate and set the challenge for each month for the rest of the year...with fixed calendar month deadlines.
    We could open up to suggestions from all members for the subject of each challenge....and accept offers for anyone to take on the judges role each month - otherwise the coordinator would judge and set the challenge
    We could even publish each months challenge in advance for the remainder of the year.

How about a points system where the more you enter the more points you earn on top of points for ranking for each challenge.

does that appeal anyone?

I think I'm experienced enough to have a stab to start with for 2019.....

What do you think?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Alternative idea...

I suggest subjects for each month would be Black and white, Birds, Urban, Small creatures, Summer, Spring, Autumn, Winter, Macro, Depth of field, Panorama, Intentional Camera Movement, Where we live, portrait, transport....etc etc......to challenge us all to try something out of our comfort zone and incorporate all areas of interest here......
    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I am up for that Brian. Sounds like a good idea.
      Colin

Comment

I have never entered into the challenge because in the unlikely event of me winning I am bone idle and unreliable and would have spoiled the next challenge, but I would give this idea a try really selfish I know but honest

Alan

Comment

I'm with Alan on this [emoji16]

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Haha ... bone idle and unreliable?.....if you can be bothered to pick up a dslr instead of a phone then I don't think that description is you!

I know what you mean though.....but if you can take part with no further obligation then at least we get to see your shots, learn from your astounding skills....and enjoy the challenge.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Exactly.... [emoji16]

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

I think that by volunteering you have shown that you are a truly noble chap Brian. These days I am all too willing to let someone else do the donkey work - I have had my time as Motor Club Chairman, Tractor Club Treasurer etc.

I look forward to the hoops you set us to jump through!
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Sorry to be the awkward one Brian, but I think part of the fun of the monthly challenge is setting the subject & then getting the person who sets it own (if like me inexperienced) interpretation of what they like. Though this month has been a hic-cup on judging, normally it runs fairly smoothly as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post

I think I'm experienced enough to have a stab to start with for 2019.....

What do you think?
                    Good man Brian, I've volunteered for some very unsavoury missions in the past, so I take my hat off to you sir - well done that man.
                    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Dave...yes I respect and understand that....maybe each months winner should have the option of taking on the next challenge and judging.....or otherwise default to the 'volunteer'...(i.e. me)….would that suit?

Trev and John...as a past member of a cycling club...I ended up running all the open and club time trials....organising time keepers, marshals, notifying the authorities, risk assessments, entries etc....there are few who are prepared to do it but I think it makes a difference if you can.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

It would be good to get a larger number of forum members to give an opinion on this , as I think (even though numbers have dwindled) that the system as it is has worked for years, shouldn’t we try & find the reason for lower numbers before we change the system?
                        Maybe move this to general discussion.

Comment

Yes maybe you are right, but there have been 298 views and 11 comments from just half a dozen members....will a move to another part of the forum help. Please feel free to raise another thread ...my offer is still open but I’m happy to get with any better suggestions
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I am around but have been somewhat busy ...... more of that later.....

I’m all for trying to stimulate interest but we’ve tried the monthly theme and it doesn’t get off the ground for very long before shriveling to a stop.

One of the beauties of the challenge is that the winner sets and judges the next challenge. I was a bit apprehensive of judging the first time I won a challenge but found it quite an educative experience....and fun. However I don’t know what more we can do to encourage entries.

If we did a monthly challenge with fixed titles all year I wasn’t sure who was judging. Same person all year??? Bit of a responsibility and also means newcomers don’t get to stretch themselves.
                            Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Agree with you Bo, long time no hear from you, hope you are well?
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X