Must of been a BIG Spider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must of been a BIG Spider

Hi All , Not posted on here for months , but pop in for a look most days . I normally regard these as an eye sore , but I can not look at this image and not think of a huge Spider has passed by . Reminds me so much of those dew laden webs you can see on early morning walks .

Must of been a big Spider by Mark Powter, on Flickr

Re: Must of been a BIG Spider

I love your analogy of the spider, so very apt.

I also think these things are an eyesore and blot on the landscape; they should have been put underground years ago. However, your image is very well seen and the golden light on the cables have a strange beauty. Very well taken Mark.
    Colin

Comment

I like this a lot! Well conceived and captured

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Very nice indeed, re pylons, rather those than the acres of solar panels that are appearing, not to mention wind turbines
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Well done.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post

I also think these things are an eyesore and blot on the landscape; they should have been put underground years ago.
            The problem with putting them underground is the huge extra cost involved. Some forty years ago an investigation into the relevant costs was carried out by the CEGB. Bearing in mind that they were looking at the costs of building a new circuit the relevant cost were 20:1. Ie in those days it was twenty times more expensive to put a new circuit underground than overhead.

Heaven alone knows what it would be now, probably 40:1 at a guess.

That is just for brand new construction. The costs to underground an existing overhead transmission line would be horrendous and the time to do it would be excessive.

Also the maintenance costs of underground are far more and an underground route leaves a wide swath of land which can not be fully utilised for anything whilst a pylon, or tower to give it it’s proper name, only takes up a small footprint.

I agree that the wind farms and solar panel fields are horrendous but that is what we get when we have a load of plonkers, off both or all three parties, in parliament. They have totally ignored the power generating industry in place of these zero emission devices which only work half the time. We saw the result of this policy last week with blackouts all over England. And the firms that build these wind farms are getting generous subsidies from HM Government and also if you use mains electric in England and Wales you are also paying for these firms to make massive profits for their shareholders.

Retired CEGB Engineer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Astolat View Post
              The problem with putting them underground is the huge extra cost involved. Some forty years ago an investigation into the relevant costs was carried out by the CEGB. Bearing in mind that they were looking at the costs of building a new circuit the relevant cost were 20:1. Ie in those days it was twenty times more expensive to put a new circuit underground than overhead.

Heaven alone knows what it would be now, probably 40:1 at a guess.

That is just for brand new construction. The costs to underground an existing overhead transmission line would be horrendous and the time to do it would be excessive.

Also the maintenance costs of underground are far more and an underground route leaves a wide swath of land which can not be fully utilised for anything whilst a pylon, or tower to give it it’s proper name, only takes up a small footprint.

I agree that the wind farms and solar panel fields are horrendous but that is what we get when we have a load of plonkers, off both or all three parties, in parliament. They have totally ignored the power generating industry in place of these zero emission devices which only work half the time. We saw the result of this policy last week with blackouts all over England. And the firms that build these wind farms are getting generous subsidies from HM Government and also if you use mains electric in England and Wales you are also paying for these firms to make massive profits for their shareholders.

Retired CEGB Engineer

ITS STILL A GOOD PICTURE!
              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                ITS STILL A GOOD PICTURE!
                Yes it is a good picture and brings tears to my eyes. To me there is something majestic about a line of pylons marching across the countryside.

Comment

Keep in mind that the 1st telegraph wires 1st appeared on the horizons in 1837 (at least here in America), followed in 1882 by the 1st high-voltage electrical wires. So by my calculations these unsightly wires have been part of our landscape for over 180 years. Most of us have grown up with them being a part of the landscape, so why not photograph them. It's not like they will be going away anytime soon.

Tom

Comment

I was not expecting my photo to cause so much debate , it`s good to get people talking anyway , and cheers for the nice comments .

Comment

It's a cracking picture regardless of how one feels about pylons...
                      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                      X