Rattle in new canon 600f4 mk III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle in new canon 600f4 mk III

I just received my canon 600 f4 mk3 lens. This is my second canon 600 f4. I purchased my previous lens in 2004 and used it till this year when I decided to finally upgrade to the newer and lighter mk III lens. In my new lens there is a rattle inside like something is loose. I have only used the lens once and it didn't rattle nor did it affect the sharpness. The agents say this is normal and is associated with the image stabilizer motor. Has anyone else experienced this and is this actually normal? Thanks in advance

Re: Rattle in new canon 600f4 mk III

Originally posted by Namal View Post
    I just received my canon 600 f4 mk3 lens. This is my second canon 600 f4. I purchased my previous lens in 2004 and used it till this year when I decided to finally upgrade to the newer and lighter mk III lens. In my new lens there is a rattle inside like something is loose. I have only used the lens once and it didn't rattle nor did it affect the sharpness. The agents say this is normal and is associated with the image stabilizer motor. Has anyone else experienced this and is this actually normal? Thanks in advance
    I can ear my 70-200 stabilizer quite easily in low noise environment. Try comparing with another stabilized lens

Comment

My sigma 150 macro os makes a whirring noise, apparently the os floating elements do this until some activity activates the system.... Even switched off the electro magnets still power up to stop the element floating and clunking. Did you remove the lens without switching off the os? Some lenses do not like this.

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

For what that lens cost I would get it checked out by a Canon rep or something , My mkll 300 2.8 does make some noise with the I.S on but I wouldn`t call it a rattle .

Comment

I have had a image stabilized 600 f4 for over ten years. as well as a 300 f2.8 IS and a 70-200 f2.8 IS III, none of them make the rattling noise . This is not the IS motor running. it sounds like something is lose inside

Comment

this is what Canon in Sri Lanka told me. I have been using my lens in the field and sometimes i change lens in a rush and nothing like this has happened before

Comment

this is a rattle, like something is lose inside. It's definitely not the IS motor working. I did hand it back to the Sri Lanka agents for canon and they are telling me it's due to not having the IS off, when I removed the lens. Meaning the motor was still running. I have several other IS lens and this has never happened to me before

Comment

Originally posted by Namal View Post
                th.......... I did hand it back to the Sri Lanka agents for canon and they are telling me it's due to not having the IS off, when I removed the lens. Meaning the motor was still running.
                I have to say that the above sounds like an agent's attempt to fob you off so as to avoid having to return a lens to Canon for investigation. I am not familiar with Sri Lankan consumer law, but do you have any right of return within a specified time or something of that sort? I think you should press them hard, particularly if you feel confident that the noise has been there from the moment you received the lens.

Good luck.
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Yup agreed, talk directly to Canon, do not bother with the agent, I would personally reject the lens, but I do not know the laws in your country.
                  Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

If it were me the thing would be going back very prompt.
                    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Working...
                    X