Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Monochrome of West Pier Brighton - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monochrome of West Pier Brighton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monochrome of West Pier Brighton

Taken courtesy of Brighton Beach Club who kindly allowed me to use their outdoor terrace
    IMG_0217-4 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

Comments please..

Edited now I've levelled the shot in LR
    Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2019, 12:18.

Re: Monochrome of West Pier Brighton

It is an interesting subject to photograph. Two things, IMO would improve the overall image: An ND Filter to slow down tour shutter speed to smooth out the sharpness of the waves and a ND Grad Filter to lower the exposure in the sky so you could have a better exposure on the water. The advantage of having a longer exposure is that to also makes moving people disappear, as the guy walking does not add to the over all composition.

Tom

Comment

IMG_0194 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
      IMG_0217 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

Tom,I don't have any filters at all,the hobby is expensive enough without filters that I'd rarely use.
      The first image is another view of the structure,and the second is the original.

I left the chap in the frame to give scale.

I took so many shots of it,I couldn't process them all/load them to Flickr,there were over 700 taken around Brighton in a limited time of four hours,so have been processing some of them also.I'm just keeping the ones that sum up the day for me as I remember it.
      Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2019, 20:46.

Comment

Roy, In place of filters you can also do multiply exposues and then combine them during post processing to give you the correct exposure. This is a technique I use when I don't have my filters & tripod with me. That way you get the correct exposure for higlights and the shadows. As for the guy, if all of his lies were there it might work, also because he is almost out of the frame he really doesn't add much to the image. Again it is only a suggestion and if you think you are going to do a lot of landscape photography, then you need to think about what is needed, and a good filter kit will help you get better landscape images in the long run. Keep in mind this is My Opinion and as with all photography if you are happy with it it's a great picture.

Tom
        Last edited by tesarver; 19-08-2019, 20:58.

Comment

Thanks Tom,

I have no idea of doing HDR if that's what you mean?Plus my version of LR(I don't get on with DPP4 at all) doesn't have it anyway.I don't own a tripod because once again the cost would far outweigh the tiny amount of use it would get.

I've done a version of that shot where I applied a yellow filter in LR and think it gives more definition to it all,I may get it printed and framed,but will probably crop at the bottom to tidy it up.

Comment

IMG_0217-3 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

Any better?Cropped,yellow filter,B&W presets and high contrast.

Comment

These are a perfectly adequate set, but I have to agree with Tom that filters and tripod - which cost less than one EF-S lens - would make much higher quality images that would stand the test of time and set themselves apart....but as you say if its all you want then that’s fine too.
              I say this as I have been lazy having not used mine many times but when I do it makes all the difference.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian,for the very rare times I take shots like these,buying the filters etc would be a bit of a waste.

I'm sure you know by now that my preferred thing is street photography/candids where I wouldn't use them;My next two daytrips are Birmingham this Friday by train and Covent Garden next month on an organised coach trip,so no use for a tripod I'm afraid.

I guess it's down to what type of photography you're more comfortable with,for a lot of landscapes then filters and tripod,for my street stuff then not.

Re my recent post about the Tamron 70-300;I'm already getting good results from it,and can see the difference in high quality glass.

Thanks once again.
                Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2019, 22:57.

Comment

Working...
                X