Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which make/model radio trigger/reciever for 5D MK3 with older Bowens GM500 strobes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which make/model radio trigger/reciever for 5D MK3 with older Bowens GM500 strobes?

Just bought some Bowens GM500 strobe heads that are non-radio, but have a sync socket on the back.

To be used with Canon EOS 5D MK3.

From what I can gather the GM500 heads have a cell built in so detect flash from other heads so I will need a radio transmitter to fit on hot shoe of Canon and a receiver to plug into the sync socket of just one of the heads to allow me to trigger them all.

Somebody said PocketWizard, but they seem pricy for a simple electronic device that simply sends out a quick signal. They might have features and functions I don't need, see my requirements above.

I don't want cheap crap that is built like crap that won't work, will break or be totally 'twitchy' and unreliable.

I know there are cheap brands out there: Godox, Neewer etc, no idea if these are any good though.

Can anybody recommend a budget make/model that I could buy. Also, for future, I'd also like recommendation for a higher quality make/model that I can upgrade to if the lesser one proves unreliable.

Thanks.

Re: Which make/model radio trigger/reciever for 5D MK3 with older Bowens GM500 strobe

If you want inexpensive and reliable, use a sync cable into the nearest head. Not quite as convenient as radio triggers, but it's how we managed for decades before triggers.

Option two is to try your flashgun as the trigger. Have it on the camera pointed to a studio flash and see if that works. If it works at full power, gradually reduce the power of the flashgun until it doesn't trigger, then revert to previous power setting. That way you will get no/minimal effect on the subject.

Back to flash triggers, Pocket Wizards are expensive, but do the business and are reliable. Anything else appear to be cheap copies and as such you are taking a chance with them. YoungNuo and Andoe seem to be better than most.

Hope that helps.
    Colin

Comment

Working...
    X