Which is the better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is the better?

Just asking, which shot is the better? The one with the bolder taking up the shot or the other?
    Just want to learn using the wide angle lens & angles etc.

which is best? by David Miller, on Flickr

this or the last one? by David Miller, on Flickr

Re: Which is the better?

For me, I don't think that the boulder has sufficient interest or texture to dominate the foreground, whereas the shoreline provides a good lead-in to the scene.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Top one for me David , looks like you got down low , it often adds with a wide angle I feel .

Comment

1st one for me David, but you do need to straighten the horizon a bit as there is a slight Left to right tilt to the image.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
          1st one for me David, but you do need to straighten the horizon a bit as there is a slight Left to right tilt to the image.

Tom
          I agree with Tom
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

For me, the larger boulder is blocking the view rather than adding to it.
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

As they stand the first one is the better but the second is a classic use of wide angle to emphasise a foreground object while at the same time using the same object to fill what might otherwise be a very blank area. Arguably you've gone a bit far and the boulder is a bit too big in the frame and rather dominates the background instead of improving the overall balance between foreground space and background interest..

In the example below I used the boat on the right to fill what would otherwise have been a large area of emptiness which would otherwise make the background seem further away. As an added bonus it's on a diagonal which, along with the mooring chain left helps to lead the eye into the scene. The trick with wide angle photography is not just to find something to fill the foreground space but also to make it work in context with the rest of the composition. It's not easy but it does come with practice...

The Foreshore
              by Nigel Hayes, on Flickr
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
              X