Images from Nigeria taken between 1964 - 1967; Sharing with members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Images from Nigeria taken between 1964 - 1967; Sharing with members

I have received a few requests via PM to post some images of life in Nigeria- actually East Nigeria where I was stationed and lectured at the Awo-Omamma Education Project. These images have been scanned via slides to my scanner and then posted. Even after 45 years the slides are in very good condition- no fungus,no mould, no nothing on them. I hope the members like them. NO C&C necessary as it only for general interest. The older members might remember that East Nigeria broke away from the then Federal Nigeria and proclaimed itself as "BIAFRA". YOu can see Lt.Col Ojuku, the Biafran leader in one of the images.
    I might like to add that in the 1960's the country had a lot of Voodu influence as you will see. All photographs taken with the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic and 40mm-80 zomm lens.

(i) (a) The Witch doctor and his retinue doing a walk about

(b) A close up of the W.D

(ii) Voodu Shrines- mind the bones and skulls!!

(a)

(b)

(c)
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 08-01-2011, 22:57.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Images from Nigeria taken between 1964 - 1967; Sharing with members

A few more.

(i)Dancers after the declaration of UDI by Lt.Col Ojuku

(a)
    (b)

(ii) Lt.Col Okjuku, the Biarfran Leader clapping his hands at the dancers. His wife is in the blue dress on his right.

(iii) East Nigerian Parliament building

(iv) Anglican Church in Enugu (Capital of E.Nigera)- E.Nigeria were predominently Christians. They were the Ibos, the educated class

(v) Village musicians
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Very interesting images Nathaniel - a nice series
      5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Nathaniel, a very interesting set of pictures from a part of the world I have only visited once and that was in the early 80's, having said that I have seen similar images from my parents in Law who were based in Lagos during that period, it was not a green and pleasant land

Comment

Hi Nathaniel,

These must bring memories flooding back, good and bad I imagine!!!

They show that Photography has certainly not been a passing whim for you, but an interest which has fulfilled you for decades.

You should be congratulated for keeping them and in such good condition, like a hidden treasure almost.

I love looking back through old photographs when I visit my Mother and would never ever cast them aside, sadly a lot of them now are the only link we have left with family members we have lost.

Very Interesting Thread Nathaniel

Paul

Comment

Thanks Jim, Paul, Muscat, Colin C(PM) . I am glad that these images are of some interest, which I thought I'd share with the excellent forum members, before they get lost for good!!!!!!! Yes, photography was a passion for me since I was a kid and given a Kodak Brownie box camera! Of course in those years I took pics only for my diary not realising that it would interest a wider audience.Shame that the actual Biafran UDI with the unfurling of the Biafran flag was confiscated when I landed in Kumba, Cameroons (now what is it's new name?),after escaping in a canoe from Port Harcourt to the Cameroon, sailing on the Niger river only at night!!!!- spent 48 hrs!

I might mention that I went alone,with a driver in my car, to the bush to take the voodo shots- some whilst on the move. There are always eyes looking at you when you are off the beaten track. It also cost me the usual back hander to locate these sites as they are very secret!! Quite naturally I have other very interesting shots like a bride being "fattened" before her wedding- with rituals etc.

Yes, all my slides are in good condition and I am now looking for a ghost writer who could help me to collate these rare photos and narrative of mine, so that these are not lost for good. Any ideas, suggesting would be very welcome. Perhaps a PM might be better so as not to bore the younger members of the forum.

Thanks again for your appreciation

Nathaniel

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
              Nathaniel, a very interesting set of pictures from a part of the world I have only visited once and that was in the early 80's, having said that I have seen similar images from my parents in Law who were based in Lagos during that period, it was not a green and pleasant land
              Muscat,Very happy to note your connexions to that part of the world. By the 1980's the country had changed quite a lot. Lagos being the capital of Nigeria( in my time) , had quite a lot of grandeur & western influence, although it had it's deprived areas. I thought, (I may be wrong) the real spirit of Nigeria was in the East,North and Mid West- I always saw things out of the ordinary. Without boring younger members, I thought I might mention my first Christmas (1964) at Awo-Omamma, Orlu, E.Nigeria. We were bored out of ears and thoght we'd lighten it up with a 9 lessons and carols service.My wife being an accomplished piano teacher this was no problem. The day before the carol service we thought we'd liven up the place by dressing up a young lad as Santa, but we did not have a Santa mask. So we got a Ju ju mask and put it on the lad and we went round the campus dropping leaflets re the carol service. When the boarders saw the Ju ju Santa, they left their dorms and started running away,many naked carrying their lanterns into the bush.I had caused a commotion. At one lady Nigerian teacher's house when this lad appeared with the leaflet, the teacher started grappling with the lad and as I was following the proceedings from a distance, had to resucue the lad. Two days after the carol service, many of the Nigerian lads asked me whether that (the Santa) was a "spirit" I brought with me from my COUNTRY!!!!
              Last edited by Nathaniel; 09-01-2011, 14:02.

Comment

I am a bit disappointed in that some historic moments/events never captured the imagination of the members. Perhaps I am too old for the younger members in the forum! I only posted them here to share some things of perhaps historic interest/significance.

Comment

Don't take it to heart Nathaniel. Forums are funny places.
                  5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Thank you for these pictures, Nathaniel, which I have only just seen.
                    I too was in Nigeria, 1962-65, first as a tutor in a teachers college near Lagos, and then as a graduate student at the University of Ibadan. I left just before things started going terribly wrong, went to teach elsewhere in Africa (first Lesotho, then Cape Town),and never returned to Nigeria. I have now retired to my native Somerset, with my husband.
                    I also have lots of slides (mostly taken with an old Leica) from my years in West Africa, and hope to digitise them soon.
                    I loved your story of the Juju Santa!

Comment

Originally posted by Petronella View Post
                      Thank you for these pictures, Nathaniel, which I have only just seen.
                      I too was in Nigeria, 1962-65, first as a tutor in a teachers college near Lagos, and then as a graduate student at the University of Ibadan. I left just before things started going terribly wrong, went to teach elsewhere in Africa (first Lesotho, then Cape Town),and never returned to Nigeria. I have now retired to my native Somerset, with my husband.
                      I also have lots of slides (mostly taken with an old Leica) from my years in West Africa, and hope to digitise them soon.
                      I loved your story of the Juju Santa!
                      HI! petronella,

I have just seen your comment. I will have great difficulty in digitalising all my slides as they are so many & I am not getting younger year by year. May be there will be further advancement in technology in a few years time which would make matters easier for me. I know Lagos and Ibadan very well, having visited both cities fairly often. I had a friend's son who did his medical degree in Ibadan University as well.
                      Well,"those were the days", when things perhaps were reasonably OK. I have far more slides which I have not scanned and posted- i find that the quality of the slides declines badly when scanned and then posted via Imageshack,Flickr and similar.

Comment

Nat, I mentioned in conversation how much I enjoyed viewing your Africa images.
                        I apologies for not adding a post here (thought I did).
                        Love them all and would love to see even more, when you have time.
                        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Well Stephen, I promise,when I find the time, I will post a few more- perhaps from an educational and informative angle.An era that cannot not be re-created other than through photographs. Events have moved too fast for me from slides, to films and now to digital. Fortunately my slides are still in prestine condition as quite a number of them have been put into glass slide mounts- the old Agfa glass mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                            Nat, I mentioned in conversation how much I enjoyed viewing your Africa images.
                            I apologies for not adding a post here (thought I did).
                            Love them all and would love to see even more, when you have time.
                            Yeah, that. A fascinating set.
                            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Hi Nathaniel, thanks for pointing me in the direction of more of your Nigerian images. These are also very interesting, and must be full of memories from your past.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X