Highland Lighthouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highland Lighthouse

This past weekend SWMBO and I headed over to Cape Code for the Weekend where we toured 5 Lighthouse Locations and A Dinner train ride.

The Highland Light (previously known as Cape Cod Light) is an active lighthouse on the Cape Cod National Seashore in North Truro, Massachusetts. The current tower was erected in 1857, replacing two earlier towers that had been built in 1797 and 1831. It is the oldest and tallest lighthouse on Cape Cod.

The current location of the lighthouse is not the original site. It was in danger of falling down the cliff due to beach erosion, so the structure was moved 450 feet (140 m) to the west. The move was accomplished by International Chimney Corp. of Buffalo, New York and Expert House Movers of Maryland over a period of 18 days in July, 1996.

369A5131_Nik_DxO by tesarver, on Flickr

Camera EOS R w/EF-R 24-105 F/4L

Comments Welcomed

Tom

Re: Highland Lighthouse

Lovely shot Tom brought to life by the cloud formation
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I like the shot and the clouds are great but somehow I find there's just too much space on the left and the layout feels uncomfortable.

I find myself favouring something a bit tighter...

48633311716_0b242a0800_h.jpg
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Nice work Tom....a great image with well defined and receding clouds.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Well captured Tom I like the position of the clouds at the top left, they seem to lead down towards the lighthouse.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I like that Tom.

Do you mean they moved the lighthouse as a structure, rather than taking apart and rebuilding?
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
              I like that Tom.

Do you mean they moved the lighthouse as a structure, rather than taking apart and rebuilding?
              Yea they moved it as a whole structure

Comment

A good pic Tom.

A similar exercise was carried out on the Belle Tout lighthouse on top of the white cliffs near Eastbourne in East Sussex in 1999, it was moved as a complete structure 56ft inland because of coastal erosion
                Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Nice composition and processing Tom.

Bill.
                  7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Nice mono image Tom, like the clouds.
                    Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

A good picture of an interesting subject that works well in mono. I think the composition that placed the tower on a third was correct.

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

Lovely image, Tom; although I see where Nigel is coming from I like your composition. Lovely light with the shadow falling against the lighthouse tower.
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Fabulous image.

This was painted by my favourite American Artist - Edward Hopper, at its original location.
                          Interesting article here - https://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/t...0cultured.html

Tom, I know you love B&W and it's ideal for a scene like this but might we see a coloured version?
                          Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Originally posted by bobowen View Post
                            Fabulous image.

This was painted by my favourite American Artist - Edward Hopper, at its original location.
                            Interesting article here - https://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/t...0cultured.html

Tom, I know you love B&W and it's ideal for a scene like this but might we see a coloured version?
                            Here is the color version Bob

Thanks Trev, Nigel, Brian, Peter, John, Ian, Bill, Derek, John & Bob for stopping by. Thanks for the edit Nigel, however I wanted the cart part and the golf cart in the image as it puts the Lighthouse in it's new environment, where your edit just focuses on the Lighthouse.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom,

The B&W has more impact I think!
                              Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Working...
                              X